• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

GRASS PICKEREL - READY FOR SHIPMENT - STARTING JUNE 8,2009

Grass Pickerel - Esox americanus vermiculatus - $10.00 each

"Small predatory fish that won't out grow your aquarium. Enjoys vegitation and does best when kept by themselves. Eats minnows or goldfish. Very Popular Fish! "

Current Size: 2" Maximum Size: 10-12"

Shipping USPS Priority starts at $9.00.

Please email us if you have questions or would like to place and order.

Grass_Pickerel_from_Muskellunge_Creek_03_27_07_by_BZ.JPG

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

do you ship to canada? [-o< :laugh:

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

What else are you working with this year, Brian?

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

do you ship to canada? [-o< :laugh:

Unfortunately we only ship to the US.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

What else are you working with this year, Brian?

We are working on a lot of sunfish species this year...

N. Longear from Ohio
C. Longear from MO same strain as last year
Longear strain from a LA swamp these already spawned, hopefully be ready in a month or so
Bantam sunfish
Green Sunfish
Redbreast Sunfish
W. Dollar Sunfish
Orangespotted sunfish
Redete Bass
Banded Sunfish
Bluespotted Sunfish
Blackbanded sunfish these already spawned as well
Warmouth

Some addition species include...
C. Mudminnows
Least Killifish
Redfin Shiners
Scarlet Shiners
Blackstripe topminnows
Brindled madtom
and I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting...

Some of these are pretty sure deals and other are more of a hope but i'm trying them all.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

That's a great list. If and when you figure out how to spawn those orangespotted sunfish, you'll make a lot of people happy!

#7 Guest_TStephens_*

Guest_TStephens_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:10 AM

Any lucky with Redeye Bass? One of those would make a great addition to my native tank.

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

It appears one of the males built a nest but it is a little late in the season for me to have a whole lot of hope for a successful spawn. I did get them moved out a little late and they were cold in my basement so I may have messed up their internal clock as far as what the season is so I have not given up hope completely.

#9 Guest_basscats_*

Guest_basscats_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Do you breed those pickerels yourself, or raise wild caught?

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

They are bred in a small pond that is about 1/4 an acre. It is set up to be as natural as possible. I catch 20 or so adults each fall and put them in there to ensure there are plenty of breeding adults each spring. They spawn on their own in the pond and I net out young ones to sell.

#11 Guest_Muskiehunt8_*

Guest_Muskiehunt8_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

You ever going to sell these again? If so I am very interested, I can not find them anywhere.

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

I sell them every year while they last. They are usually ready by the last week of may or June 1st. Check my website around then, I'll post them as soon as they are ready... zimmermansfish.com

#13 Guest_Muskiehunt8_*

Guest_Muskiehunt8_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

I sell them every year while they last. They are usually ready by the last week of may or June 1st. Check my website around then, I'll post them as soon as they are ready... zimmermansfish.com

Ok thank you, I have been wanting one for years, and could never catch one, only small pike which doesnt help me much since a northern will outgrow my 250 gal. lol

#14 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

Ok thank you, I have been wanting one for years, and could never catch one, only small pike which doesnt help me much since a northern will outgrow my 250 gal. lol

250 gal eh? Nice tank, Go for like 3 Pickerel and a couple Warmouths or something of the likes. Seems like Warmouth and Pickerel can co-exist decently.

#15 Guest_acamp_*

Guest_acamp_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

When will they be available in 2012?

Edited by acamp, 07 January 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#16 Guest_acamp_*

Guest_acamp_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

What size tank would they need?

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Same as every year probably around the last week of May or 1st week of June. It depends somewhat on how the weather goes in the spring but usually is fairly consistent.

A single pickerel can be kept in a 10 gallon tank but will be more comfortable in something like a 20 long. They also are not territorial so you can keep 2 in a 20 long. Basically if you want more give them each 10 gallons of space and you should be in good shape. Keep in mind they are very predatory despite not defending territories at all from what I have seen. This means they need to be well fed and stay close to the same size if several are kept in one tank. If one gets too much bigger than the others in the tank it will eat them or die trying to.

#18 Guest_Grasspickerelsarethebest_*

Guest_Grasspickerelsarethebest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I might be interested in one I want to put one in a 10 gallon how big are they when you sell them

#19 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I might be interested in one I want to put one in a 10 gallon how big are they when you sell them

The top post in this thread says they were 2" so I'd imagine they'd be around the same size when he ships.

As Brian has stated, they will "fit" in a 10g, but a 20gL would be ideal. They grow pretty fast as well. If fed well, they can get close to max size in a year.

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Exactly what Drew said...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users