Heterandria formosa in Texas

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hey everyone, I am finally all unpacked and have my fish room up to 100%, so now I am looking to go out and try my hand at collecting. I have a couple of locations for pupfish west of my home but what I was wondering is how far west does the Heterandria formosa come into texas. I had some of these that did not make it in the move and I have always liked having a tank of these little guys. If anyone here has some information that they can share with me on collecting these little guys in Texas that would be great.

I did a search and found this: Texas distribution: Collected only on the west bank of the Sabine River near the Interstate Highway 10 crossing in Orange County (Hanks and McCoid 1988; Hubbs et al. 2008).

Has anyone found them in other locations then the one mentioned above.

Edited by JamesH, 18 October 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Guest_telsonboy_*

Guest_telsonboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

I did a search and found this: Texas distribution: Collected only on the west bank of the Sabine River near the Interstate Highway 10 crossing in Orange County (Hanks and McCoid 1988; Hubbs et al. 2008).

Has anyone found them in other locations then the one mentioned above.

Yes, James... if you haven't found it already! In Orange along the bayou that runs through town, several bridges cross it. It is essentially the west bank of the Sabine, or a tributary of the Sabine. But having collected all along the FW waterways on the Texas coast, that's about it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users