Orangespotted Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

This fish had a white rim arround its ear flap, orange spots, and a sky blue hue all over.

Is this a Orangespotted Sunfish or a hybrid of it?

There are no longears in the area. Caught in Lake County Indiana in a pond, but there is a creek next to the pond.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

I don't think it has any orangespot in it, appears to be a bluegill/pumpkinseed hybrid to me.

#3 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Then why does it only have a white rim on gill flap instead of red?

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

in all of the MALE orange spots I have seen, they have orange in the dorsal, this fish does not. I would agree with Skippy's ID as it has alot of characteristics in common with the p seed and bluegill.

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I don't think it has any orangespot in it, appears to be a bluegill/pumpkinseed hybrid to me.

i often find odd colored fish in closed water systems,with this said here is a link from the past were most if not all are just unsure of the fishes background.
http://forum.nanfa.o...ake-in-nw-ohio/

#6 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

The thing about this hybrid that bothers me most is the white edge on its gill flap.
I would think there would be some red there if it was part pumpkinseed.

It does have orange on its anal fin.

#7 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

Another photo

Attached Files

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I dunno, I think I'd go with a slightly odd o-spot.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

All of y'all are seeing what you want to see... this is just a regular pumpkinseed... red spot on the earflap not present (yet?). Natural variation.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

I see pumpkinseed.

#11 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

in all of the MALE orange spots I have seen, they have orange in the dorsal, this fish does not. I would agree with Skippy's ID as it has alot of characteristics in common with the p seed and bluegill.

Skippy?

All of y'all are seeing what you want to see... this is just a regular pumpkinseed... red spot on the earflap not present (yet?). Natural variation.

I'm not seeing what I want to see, I'm seeing what I think I see. It could be a pure pumpkinseed, there is just something about it that makes me think it may have bluegill in it and thats not just the lack of an orange spot.

#12 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking before I scrolled down far enough to read your comment, Michael! No doubt here.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

I'm not seeing what I want to see, I'm seeing what I think I see. It could be a pure pumpkinseed, there is just something about it that makes me think it may have bluegill in it and thats not just the lack of an orange spot.

Yeah, I know, don't read anything into my internet "tone of voice"... I just am in the "variation" camp when it comes to these things... I mean, we are all Homo sapiens right? And I am very glad not to look like Irate Mormon (you know that is not a picture of his cat, it is really a self portrait)! Heck, I don't look much like (fill in the name of your favorite movie star) either... or basketball player (visual image of me and LeBron James side by side in an alien biologist seine, one says to the other, but look how short and pale this one is, it must be a different species all together... or maybe I am just "stunted" from my captive environment!).

I better stop now, or I am really going to getg in trouble again, and to think I started this post as sort of an apology to get out of any trouble I might have been making.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Yes I'm 100% sure that is a hybrid sunfish. Exact combination is near impossible to be sure of but it does appear to be part pumpkinseed based on body color and presence of wavy lines on cheek, which are wider and less well defined than a that of a pure pumpkinseed. Bluegill only have blue along the bottom edge of the cheek and it is a thick band. This could be the other half which would account for the less well defined blue lines and their width. It does have some spotting on the rear of the dorsal which is something pumpkinseeds have and bluegill and orangespotted sunfish do not have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users