Hellbender hunt

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Well as I was fishing an NC mountain stream near my house I decided to lift a few rocks to see if hellbenders populated this stream which feeds the French Broad.

Second try I found one. Pretty surprised but I know they are found in the FB basin in other streams

Did catch some redbreast sunfish fishing.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

That's a good sign, hellbenders disappear quickly from degraded habitat.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

Try the Davidson river in Brevard, just downstream of the Pisgah fish hatchery. It is crawling with them. I have stood on the bridge in front of the hatchery, and seen dozens just walking around on the stream bed. The excess feed from the hatchery seems to really boost the river directly downstream. 30 inch trout are common there.

#4 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

what are these? they look like giant newts. are they full aquatic?

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Hellbenders are fully aquatic giant salamaders. There's a Japanese species that gets even bigger.

#6 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hellbenders are fully aquatic giant salamaders. There's a Japanese species that gets even bigger.

They look pretty interested. I searched some pictures seem like they get pretty big.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

If you ever see one in person you'll be taken aback, adults can push a meter in size with a flat head and wide-set eyes that are different from other salamanders. They're found in clean, cool flowing water over rocks and boulders.

#8 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

thats awesome. I doubt I have any around in my area considering the delaware, schukyll and susquehanna arent that clean.

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Try the Davidson river in Brevard, just downstream of the Pisgah fish hatchery. It is crawling with them. I have stood on the bridge in front of the hatchery, and seen dozens just walking around on the stream bed. The excess feed from the hatchery seems to really boost the river directly downstream. 30 inch trout are common there.

Yep they are in the Davidson.

That is probably the best hellbender stream around.

Used to be some big ones in Dunkard Creek Pennsylvania before it was wiped out by a wastewater spill last fall. My dad used to catch them fishing there.

The biologists in NC have not sampled this stream but with my sighting they are now going to I was told.

Edited by Gambusia, 12 June 2010 - 08:34 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users