Pawley's Island

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

I believe that I mentioned this on another thread about a month ago. I will be vacationing in the Pawley's Island area of South Carolina from June 19 to June 25. I'm taking nets and some coolers and I plan on doing some collecting. Also I just ordered Fritz Rohde's new book. I hope some of you guys , make that some of you folks, in that area can join me. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together.

Harry Knaub

#2 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Wish I could go. Good luck, Harry.

I believe that I mentioned this on another thread about a month ago. I will be vacationing in the Pawley's Island area of South Carolina from June 19 to June 25. I'm taking nets and some coolers and I plan on doing some collecting. Also I just ordered Fritz Rohde's new book. I hope some of you guys , make that some of you folks, in that area can join me. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together.

Harry Knaub

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Believe it or not, I just got back from Pawley's Island for a bit of a vacation. While most my time was spent on the beach or crabbing, I managed to get out a few days to fish for flounder in the creek. I got to look at some fish while catching bait (striped killifish Fundulus majalis). Although I was targeting these, I did get to play around while one of the kid's little plastic handled dipnet. I was able to scoop up some sheepshead minnows (Cyprinodon variegatus), and some rainwater killifish (Lucania parva). The sheepheads and rainwaters were all caught near the boat ramp on the north end of the island and the stripes were found on the sandbars at the mouth of the creek on the Litchfield Beach side. You can catch a heap of other fish, but aren't necessarily good aquarium fish. You'll find juvenile drums, menhaden, mullet, etc in there too.

#4 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Believe it or not, I just got back from Pawley's Island for a bit of a vacation. While most my time was spent on the beach or crabbing, I managed to get out a few days to fish for flounder in the creek. I got to look at some fish while catching bait (striped killifish Fundulus majalis). Although I was targeting these, I did get to play around while one of the kid's little plastic handled dipnet. I was able to scoop up some sheepshead minnows (Cyprinodon variegatus), and some rainwater killifish (Lucania parva). The sheepheads and rainwaters were all caught near the boat ramp on the north end of the island and the stripes were found on the sandbars at the mouth of the creek on the Litchfield Beach side.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have two youg boys with me and those sound like good locations to take them.

Harry Knaub

#5 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Wish I could go. Good luck, Harry.

Thanks Bob

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hi Harry. I wish I could come over that way and meet up with you as well. I have not sampled up that way often and it would be some different scenery for me. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it either. I wish you luck. Dustin

#7 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hi Harry. I wish I could come over that way and meet up with you as well. I have not sampled up that way often and it would be some different scenery for me. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it either. I wish you luck. Dustin

It should fun. I'll have two ten year-olds with me. They'll probably scare the fish anyhow.

Harry Knaub

#8 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Just a little follow-up. I had very little time for collecting as it turned out. I did take the boys to the Sandy Island boat launch ramp behind Brookgreen Gardens. Unfortunatly, we didn't feel like getting in the water, since there was a dead five-foot alligator floating just off of the ramp. I think someone hooked it while fishing and then shot it. Anyhow, wading just didn't seem like a good idea. We did net a few Gambusia and juvenile sunfish, but nothing that I wanted to bring home.

I did play around in the tidal creek behind Pawley's Island while Jane and the boys were on the beach. There were some Killifish (Mummichogs?) that would bury themselves in the sand. Then I could just scoop them out of the sand with my Perfect Dipnet.

Anyhow, the reason I didn't have much time for collecting was house hunting. We bought a townhouse in Myrtle Beach, so I should have plenty of oppurtunities to collect in South Carolina in the future.

Harry Knaub

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

Anyhow, the reason I didn't have much time for collecting was house hunting. We bought a townhouse in Myrtle Beach, so I should have plenty of oppurtunities to collect in South Carolina in the future.

Fantastic! Snowbird Harry Knaub! Collecting in the south from December to March is great!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Fantastic! Snowbird Harry Knaub! Collecting in the south from December to March is great!

I never considered that I'd be snowbird, but what the heck. I'm looking forward to spending time in SC waters.

Harry Knaub

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

I never considered that I'd be snowbird, but what the heck. I'm looking forward to spending time in SC waters.

Harry Knaub

Let me know when you are back around and I will take you around to see some great fish.

#12 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Let me know when you are back around and I will take you around to see some great fish.

Dustin,

I'm going back down this Saturday, July 17 for a few days, but I'll likly be working and meeting with contractors the whole time. Hopefully I'll get back down in August or September. I'm Looking forward to getting out with you.

Harry Knaub

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users