Identifying Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

I've been reading some older posts and some of them are from members wanting to id crayfish. I belong to a forum that deals with keeping crayfish so with some good pictures I can get them identified. If you are like me and want to learn to id them yourself here is a website that tells you what crayfish are in your state. It's come in very handy.

http://iz.carnegiemn...es_by_state.htm

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

You said one key thing; with good pictures. The foroum you're talking about seems to have better luck with people putting up good pictures. Probably because it is a crayfish forum and not a fish forum and there are crayfish experts. Even though a disclaimer was placed in this sub forum asking for good pictures when looking for an ID, with the specific characteristics needed to make a valid identification, most of the time good pictures or pictures at all don't happen. No one is discouraging or ignoring requests for ID;s, but what is often given to work with is insufficient to make a guess beyond genus.

#3 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

No one is discouraging or ignoring requests for ID;s, but what is often given to work with is insufficient to make a guess beyond genus.

Matt, I couldn't agree more. In fact, what you are saying is also true for a lot of the fish, mussel, and plant photos that appear on the forum too. I know that properly photographing an unknown organism for identification can be a pain, but if you want a confident ID, that's what it takes.

Thanks for the weblink David, that is one that I'm not familiar with and will definitely use in the future.

Blake

#4 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

You said one key thing; with good pictures. The foroum you're talking about seems to have better luck with people putting up good pictures. Probably because it is a crayfish forum and not a fish forum and there are crayfish experts. Even though a disclaimer was placed in this sub forum asking for good pictures when looking for an ID, with the specific characteristics needed to make a valid identification, most of the time good pictures or pictures at all don't happen. No one is discouraging or ignoring requests for ID;s, but what is often given to work with is insufficient to make a guess beyond genus.

I wasn't implying anything I was mostly just posting the link the site that list crayfish species and offering to help with id's. I've seen more then a few bad pictures of crayfish and people asking for an id when all you can really tell is that it is a picture of a crayfish. This site is mentioned frequently on the crayfish site when people ask questions about native fish. I was just returning the favor.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

I wasn't implying you were implying either, just bringing up what typically happens here, unfortunately. Glad to hear we get some mentions elsewhere. I frequented that board a few times, but when the new format happened a while ago I got locked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users