Turtle Eggs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Just wanted to share this with you. I know its not fish, but still pretty cool. A friend of mine and I were out fishing this past weekend...which was fin but not really what this is all about. When we were finished fishing and walking back to the truck, my friend saw something next to the roadway in the grass. Upon further inspection it was a turtle. We were trying to guess what kind it was and just before he picked it up, by frined saw what was in the hole right behind the turtle. Check it out.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Once we figured out what was going on, we snapped a couple pics and left her alone. As we continued along the roadway we saw at least 3 more spots that appeared to be the same thing, but the hole was filled back in.

I've got no idea what kind of turtle this is. Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

Blanding's Turtle (Emydoidea blandingi)? That's unusual that she would lay in clay that looks like it could not possibly hold any more water in it.

Brian

#3 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

I should add that this is in southeastern Ohio.

As for the substrate; we were walking down a closed haul road on abandoned/reclaimed strip mine land. Where she is laying eggs is actually on what was once gravel road, it is just overgrown along the edges. In the first picture you can almost see the "rut" where it is still gravel road, the very lowest yellow flower is sort of hanging over the exposed gravel. It was very odd to see how wet the dug up mud was, cause the rest of the surroundings looked real dry...but it had been raining very recently.

As for the ID of the turtle, I was thinking it was a painted turtle (or at least something in the slider family) based on the shape and smoothness of the shell. But like I said we did not pick it up and the only way I really know to ID a painted turtle is to see the bottom of the shell.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Good call Brian, I was thinking Blandings too. Not many people recognize them, even in their range.
I just happen to live like 2 miles from the epicenter of the tiny disjointed Ma population of blandings. They're one of our rarest, found only in a very small area of the state, but the population within the small area is pretty numerous.
After that I think there's some in a similar disjunct population in NY and then you get into their main range in the midwest.
very cool animal, one of my faves.
Not so rare in my neighborhood, they still find each other.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Common Musk?

#6 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Blandings for sure. I use to have one of these as a young child. They are one of the more beautiful species here in the north. I have noticed in the past couple of years that the poplulations in michigan seem to be growing. This is a good sign.

#7 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

I believe the shell is too "flat" to be the common musk turtle. I should have gotten pics from a different angle so show more of the shape of the shell.

Here is why I am leaning away from blandings turtle
http://www.dnr.state...60/Default.aspx

According to the ODNR, the blandings is found primarily in northern counties in ohio. This was noble county.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Common Musk?

Now I think your right. I don't think the blandings has the notch over the head.

#9 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Another item to note. Front to back, this turtles shell was about 7" long.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

Here's the real question: How do the eggs TASTE?

#11 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

Here's the real question: How do the eggs TASTE?

Good, wrapped in bacon.

Musk's have barbels and yellow stripes on their head.

#12 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Now I think your right. I don't think the blandings has the notch over the head.

If that turtle is 7" straight carapace length it likely isn't a common musk. That is considerably larger than you'd expect to see in that species. 7" is likely some kind of record for a common musk. The shell also does not appear to be shaped correctly.

I'd be tempted to guess a melanistic midland painted chrysemys picta marginata, but I'm really not much of a turtle IDer. I linked the pictures on a turtle forum I go to. The ID guys there are about like you guys with native fish, so I'm sure they'll knock out an answer pretty quickly.

Edited by Clayton, 17 June 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#13 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I linked the pictures on a turtle forum I go to. The ID guys there are about like you guys with native fish, so I'm sure they'll knock out an answer pretty quickly.

Oh cool. Thanks. I really dont think its the musk. Like you said, its the wrong shape. Myself and some others caught a must just a couple weeks ago while seining and this just doesnt look like the same critter. Unfortunately we didnt spend much time bothering her cause she was obviousely busy. I'm not real concerned about what kind of turtle it is so much as how cool it was to catch her in the act of laying eggs. It would be nice to know for sure what it is though.

#14 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

Oh cool. Thanks. I really dont think its the musk. Like you said, its the wrong shape. Myself and some others caught a must just a couple weeks ago while seining and this just doesnt look like the same critter. Unfortunately we didnt spend much time bothering her cause she was obviousely busy. I'm not real concerned about what kind of turtle it is so much as how cool it was to catch her in the act of laying eggs. It would be nice to know for sure what it is though.

My guess was confirmed. Midland painted chrysemys picta marginata appears to be correct. Here is the link to the other poster's comments on why.

#15 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

I haven't checked back here in awhile, but I can't not answer an Ohio herp question.

I agree that turtle is a Midland Painted Turtle. The shape is correct, but is diplaying an unsual lack of red markings on the marginal scutes.

As for Blanding's they are only found on the counties bordering the lake and north of the Maumee River to the Indiana line. They are also much more domed shaped.

Musk Turtles are shaped completely different.

The only other potential would be an introduced Red-ear but the shape is wrong for that too.

Which leaves us where we started with Midland Painted Turtle.

Andy

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

agree that turtle is a Midland Painted Turtle. The shape is correct, but is diplaying an unsual lack of red markings on the marginal scutes.

That is really not all that unusual really to lack....
Clearly a Painted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users