Fishing while on lunch

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

I've gotten into a habit lately of running down to the Delaware-Raritan canal during lunchtime. It's decent exercise and it's fun. There's also a little stream that runs near the canal that a friend showed me that he had caught some Cambarus bartonii crayfish from. I went there in the spring and found a puddle leftover from some high water and caught netted some Banded Killifish and Swallowtail Shiners plus some large Golden Shiners that I released.

Now this is a pretty small stream, the deepest I've seen it is maybe 3 feet and it's less then 10 feet wide where I go. So I go there yesterday just to play around and I wind up catching a bunch of Eastern Blacknose Daces. I brought home 12 of them and put 4 babies in my 5 gallon hex at work, 2 more young ones in my 10 gallon and 4 adults and sub adults in my 75 gallon.

They are one of the prettiest native fish I have ever seen and I'm very surprised that this small stream has such a wide range of small fish in it. The area that I've covered is maybe a quarter mile so far and there's a nice looking pool I want to explore right where the stream comes out of a large pipe that runs under the canal. I'd love to follow it down to the Delaware river which is less then a mile away but the streams cuts through a country club which kind of kills that idea. I'm at work right now with no way to post any pictures so I'll have to wait until I get home to post some.

#2 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

I've gotten into a habit lately of running down to the Delaware-Raritan canal during lunchtime. It's decent exercise and it's fun. There's also a little stream that runs near the canal that a friend showed me that he had caught some Cambarus bartonii crayfish from. I went there in the spring and found a puddle leftover from some high water and caught netted some Banded Killifish and Swallowtail Shiners plus some large Golden Shiners that I released.

Now this is a pretty small stream, the deepest I've seen it is maybe 3 feet and it's less then 10 feet wide where I go. So I go there yesterday just to play around and I wind up catching a bunch of Eastern Blacknose Daces. I brought home 12 of them and put 4 babies in my 5 gallon hex at work, 2 more young ones in my 10 gallon and 4 adults and sub adults in my 75 gallon.

They are one of the prettiest native fish I have ever seen and I'm very surprised that this small stream has such a wide range of small fish in it. The area that I've covered is maybe a quarter mile so far and there's a nice looking pool I want to explore right where the stream comes out of a large pipe that runs under the canal. I'd love to follow it down to the Delaware river which is less then a mile away but the streams cuts through a country club which kind of kills that idea. I'm at work right now with no way to post any pictures so I'll have to wait until I get home to post some.

You should post the pictures, I'd love to see them!

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

You should post the pictures, I'd love to see them!

I'm going to have to net the largest one and take some pictures of it out of the water. I tried with my camera phone yesterday but it's too slow and the fish wouldn't stay still.

#4 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

I agree. I grew up catching bnd's for trout bait. The males in breeding dress are awesome. I have a 2.5 gallon tank Im going to paint the back & one side black so I can try to do some pics in the field.

#5 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

I'm looking in the wrong places. All I find is gambusia and banded killies. :angry:

#6 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

I'm looking in the wrong places. All I find is gambusia and banded killies. :angry:

Just say the word njJohn, I need someone new to drag through the sticker bushes, deep mud, irate landowners, rapids and various other dangers.

I went back today to another part of the stream and saw some bigger fish most of which I was able to id as sunfish. I saw one fish though and I just don't know what it is. It had the color and pattern of a koi but the body was that of a sunfish from I could see. I only had my dip net so I couldn't go after it. I'm going to bring my ultralight rig tomorrow and try and catch it. I managed to net a few more Blacknosed Daces but no shiners or killifish. One day I'm going to take the entire day and sample the stream properly. I also saw a way to bypass the part of the stream that runs through the country club so I can actually walk the stream down to the Delaware river.
That njJohn is where the stickers,mud, irate landowners part will most likely come in :biggrin:

#7 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Maybe we can plan something begfore summers over.

I went to Merril Park in Iselin on thursday. I was with my kids and had no nets. But, I could see some darters just inches aways from a cement dam. I'm gonna come back and see what they are.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users