Brindled Madtoms

37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

Just wondering if anyone has ever collected or even come across Brindled Madtoms?

#2 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Just wondering if anyone has ever collected or even come across Brindled Madtoms?

I caught one once, in the Pocatalico river in West Virginia when I was 15. A gass well had flooded the river with saltwater and fish were dying, i saw this little striped catfish drifting along and took him home but he died soon after.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I caught one once, in the Pocatalico river in West Virginia when I was 15. A gass well had flooded the river with saltwater and fish were dying, i saw this little striped catfish drifting along and took him home but he died soon after.

Bummer.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

I've only ever come across one as well, also on it's way out. It was drifting around a rocky lake shore and I scooped it up to take home, it died shortly after.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

I know of some spots....What is your approximate location?

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

I caught one once - he resided in a SOBE bottle. He lived for a number of years in Irate's Tank O' Death. I quite liked him.

#7 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

I caught one once - he resided in a SOBE bottle. He lived for a number of years in Irate's Tank O' Death. I quite liked him.

"Tank O' Death" Ha, what else did you have in there?
I sure would like to get my hands on a Brindled!
Did you see him much? Most of my Madtoms- speckled and tadpole hide all of the time.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well, at first he stayed in this tiny hole in a piece of driftwood and I never saw him much. Then he outgrew the hole and was out all the time. He lived for a few years until I had one of my inevitable fish kills (also lost a 10-year old Botia lohacata).

#9 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Brindled madtoms are high on my list of wanted fishes for sure. Are they fairly common where they live? I have often wondered why I only saw one brindled madtom there. i must have seined minnows and in the river hundreds of times when I was a kid but I never saw one there untill the fish kill. Do they live in places most people wouldn't think?

#10 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Brindled madtoms are high on my list of wanted fishes for sure. Are they fairly common where they live? I have often wondered why I only saw one brindled madtom there. i must have seined minnows and in the river hundreds of times when I was a kid but I never saw one there untill the fish kill. Do they live in places most people wouldn't think?

I can't speak for their entire range but in the Wabash tribs in Illinois and Indiana I've sampled, they were pretty abundant.

#11 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Are there any madtoms prettier than the brindled?
I think the speckled is nice... :fishy:

Edited by Moontanman, 12 July 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Ozark is my fav... since monsterous one lives in my 75...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Used to see Brindled in the upper Detroit River regularly. They are now quite rare with only a handful of them being found in the past several years. Presumed (as I have no good data) that the Zebra Mussel and Round Goby where likely the cause for decline for a variety of reasons.

Ironically however now we have an explosion of Northern Madtom, which are a state Endangered species. Seems they have swapped places in the new ecologic system of today.

#14 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

How Monstrous.....we have them near where I live but ive only seen small ones. When I make a biotype tank it would be nice to know how big yours has gotten (Ive never seen them over 3 inches before).

Ozark is my fav... since monsterous one lives in my 75...

#15 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Are there any madtoms prettier than the brindled?
I think the speckled is nice... :fishy:

i think your state has a nice colored madtom the Noturus furiosus.
here in ohio i find most of the madtoms in my area live near sand and rocks
in late fall we can find them under leaf beds in calm water sometimes.
here is a site with some info on our little friends.
this site has the best info.
have a look at the N flaater Checkered Madtom VERY COOL LITTLE FISH!!!

http://tolweb.org/Noturus/68930

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

How Monstrous.....we have them near where I live but ive only seen small ones. When I make a biotype tank it would be nice to know how big yours has gotten (Ive never seen them over 3 inches before).

Easily 5 inches... I would have said 6, but that is probably just me being excited... I only see him a once or twice a week at most... Search the forum and you might find a few of my past posts about him.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Easily 5 inches... I would have said 6, but that is probably just me being excited... I only see him a once or twice a week at most... Search the forum and you might find a few of my past posts about him.

I'll second the 5" measurement, having eyeballed him once ever. Huge madtom.

#18 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I fish in an area where they are supposed to be found but have never caught any.

#19 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wow thats awesome, I was going to try to find a stonecat for my biotype tank....I think Ill just get an Ozark instead.

#20 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

I spent hours yesterday at each of 3 locations where there should have been Brindled and Stonecats and didn't find a single one. I tried different parts of the river. Riffles deep and shallow, backwater areas, under large slabs of slate, over gravel, over sand, in places with plants and fallen leaves, soft bottom areas, undercut banks etc. I don't think I missed any place except for possibly some really deep holes. I have come to the conclusion that the 2 rivers (the Chagrin and the Grand) just do not have very large populations of them. Earlier in the week I also sampled a small branch of the Chagrin and found none.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users