Went out on a collecting trip this morning

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

So this morning I went out on a little collecting excursion in the ditches and lakes in my neighborhood. My first stop was a large drainage ditch right down the street, which is separated into two parts by the road. After having spent twenty minutes there and catching all of the juvenile mosquitofish that I could stand, I decided I would try the other side with my cast net. when I walked up, I apparently spooked a fish out of the shallows and as he swam away, I got into position to throw my net. When I pulled up the net, there was a long, round fish in there that i didn't immediately recognize. When I went to pick him up, I realized that I had caught a Bowfin, but as I picked him up, he slipped out of my hands and back into the water! After another twenty minutes of trying to catch another one, I gave up and went down to the lakes that these ditches lead to. I made one throw in one lake and didn't catch any fish, so I went across the road to the other lake and threw my net in. In one cast, I brought in 6 sunfish and a turtle, and with the next cast I brought in 8 more. On what I decided was going to be my last cast, I brought in the most beautiful Bluegill I had ever seen. His (or her) belly was bright orange-red with sky-blue cheeks and an abnormally golden colored tail. It can't be seen very well in this picture, but when the color is back I will take another one.

Attached Images

• DSCF9505(edit).JPG

#2 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Here he (or she) is after having acclimated and colored up a bit.

Attached Images

• DSCF9507(edit).JPG

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, that's a good looking male bluegill. Have you tried castnetting in any tidal waters? When my father lived in Virginia Beach I used to visit and find all sorts of fish in the bays and tidal creeks.

#4 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I cast net all of the time in the Lynnhaven River to catch Spot, Croaker, Menhaden, and Mullet to use as bait.

#5 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

That's a nice bluegill.

#6 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

He's slowly gaining more color. Here's another picture I took a few minutes ago.

Attached Images

• DSCF9510(edit).JPG

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Well, ahem, that's as good as bluegill get.

That's all I'm sayin'.

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

Nice 'gill! Welcome to the forum, ShadowHunter679! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

#9 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Here's another picture of the Bluegill after 24 hours in the tank. He's got his full color back and seems to be adjusting to tank life way better than I had expected.

Attached Images

• DSCF9511(edit).JPG

#10 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

Here's another picture of the Bluegill after 24 hours in the tank. He's got his full color back and seems to be adjusting to tank life way better than I had expected.

nice fish,
keep a close watch out for the tail damage the net did to him.
i weeks to come he may have trouble.

#11 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

nice fish,
keep a close watch out for the tail damage the net did to him.
i weeks to come he may have trouble.

The tail damage looks more like a bite mark from a turtle rather than damage done by the net. But thank you for voicing your concerns, it's always appreciated.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users