Collecting Locations

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

Does anybody know any good places in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia to go collect some decent fish. All of the places I go to are just full of Bluegill and Bullheads, and even though they are interesting fish, I would like to have a little more variety in my tank.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:24 AM

Does anybody know any good places in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia to go collect some decent fish. All of the places I go to are just full of Bluegill and Bullheads, and even though they are interesting fish, I would like to have a little more variety in my tank.

if you have those 2 fish in your tank...then you arent going to be able to add anymore variety lol.

someone should be able to help. you are around some good waters to your west.

#3 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Plan on driving past Lexington, Va.

Maury River

#4 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

if you have those 2 fish in your tank...then you arent going to be able to add anymore variety lol.
s
someone should be able to help. you are around some good waters to your west.

Right now I just have a single Bluegill. Bullheads wreck my tank every time I put them in.

#5 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Right now I just have a single Bluegill. Bullheads wreck my tank every time I put them in.

what do you mean by wreck? Just uprooting plants and causing udder dismay?

#6 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

what do you mean by wreck? Just uprooting plants and causing udder dismay?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! Haha

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

My bullhead lives in a tank with gravel, rocks and fake plants. It has a nice hiding place and hasn't caused any problems yet.

#8 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

My bullhead lives in a tank with gravel, rocks and fake plants. It has a nice hiding place and hasn't caused any problems yet.

Interesting... Every time I've ever introduced one to a tank, which is 3 times now, they cause utter chaos, uproot plants, and destroy the gravel layout.

#9 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

i havent had any problems with my bullhead either. just when i go near the tank he goes back to hide.. i'll tell you what. i never saw a fish grow so fast.

#10 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Interesting... Every time I've ever introduced one to a tank, which is 3 times now, they cause utter chaos, uproot plants, and destroy the gravel layout.

Well, mine is small yet, it's only 8 or 9 inches. Maybe when it's bigger it will be more destructive. I got it last spring when it was 3" long.

#11 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

I was kind of hoping to add a 3" or so Bullhead to my tank which has similarly sized pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, and yellow perch (one of each). In hope that it could roam the bottom and clean up anything that makes it to the bottom uneaten. But after hearing that they can be somewhat destructive, I've kind of had a change of heart. I have plants and flourite for substrate which is really pretty lightweight. And come to think of it, nothing makes it to the bottom uneaten, my fish goes crazy for food at their feedings and nothing goes untouched :biggrin:

#12 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

I was kind of hoping to add a 3" or so Bullhead to my tank which has similarly sized pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, and yellow perch (one of each). In hope that it could roam the bottom and clean up anything that makes it to the bottom uneaten. But after hearing that they can be somewhat destructive, I've kind of had a change of heart. I have plants and flourite for substrate which is really pretty lightweight. And come to think of it, nothing makes it to the bottom uneaten, my fish goes crazy for food at their feedings and nothing goes untouched :biggrin:

How about some Tadpole Madtoms? I have to admit, I love my bullhead most of my cats, but Tadpole Madtoms are cool. I just don't see mine much. I have had my bullhead for over a year. I got him when he was aBOUT 1" long, he is now about 5". He is well fed, but has stayed smaller than most. He does uproot plants sometimes when the pumpkinseed is chasing him around. I find that plants with deep rooting systems or runners- like val and sag stay put in this tank.
My bullhead has awesome character!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users