ASIH in Providence next weekend

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

I know that several people on the Forum will be in Providence for the ASIH meeting next week. I'll be there too, and willing to help with any NANFA propaganda/presence effort. In particular I'll be staying at the Biltmore.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

I know that several people on the Forum will be in Providence for the ASIH meeting next week. I'll be there too, and willing to help with any NANFA propaganda/presence effort. In particular I'll be staying at the Biltmore.

hey, right up my ally!! the Biltmore is nice!!!! are you guys gonna be out in the field at all? id like to tag along with you guys and see what you do. id like to meet some of you guys as well.

Edited by bumpylemon, 03 July 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#3 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

I'll be attending as well.

Peter Unmack

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

will there be any collecting while here or anything?

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Not as part of the meeting, it'll be in the Providence Convention Center with various seminars, poster presentations and group meetings. Most people are flying in and out, as much as I'd like to collect some striped killies somewhere around Narragansett Bay.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Not as part of the meeting, it'll be in the Providence Convention Center with various seminars, poster presentations and group meetings. Most people are flying in and out, as much as I'd like to collect some striped killies somewhere around Narragansett Bay.

Bruce I have no problem holding the fish for you and shipping them to you down in Bama when you get back. id like to gain experience in going out with you guys.

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Bruce I have no problem holding the fish for you and shipping them to you down in Bama when you get back. id like to gain experience in going out with you guys.

its nice to see members were in this area (very non abundant place for natives) and they went out collecting and didn't want other local members around. so much for teaching and educating people. it would have been nice to see some real experienced people around here where i collect. would of thought me being a member would have granted me that luxury at least. guess not [-X

Edited by bumpylemon, 12 July 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Dude not much collecting goes on at ASIH meetings.. Not much time for that as it is a professional conference where a good number of people take that time to network with other people and organizations (Mostly state and federal). We do not get together often so do so as we can. Nothing about this conference is hobby type stuff.

Kills me that for the 5th year I'm missing it.

Edited by Brooklamprey, 13 July 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#9 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

ASIH would have been a first-rate opportunity to surround yourself with a couple thousand folks that collectively ARE the state of the science in ichthyology. As Richard said, it's primarily a networking event -- if there's time in the evenings after presentations, most attendees go out for dinner or drinks rather than go chase fish. YES, some NANFA members were there. I was unable to attend the meetings, but happened to be in Providence anyway working on another project, sampling fish from coastal and estuarine areas. I'm normally happy to have folks tag along, but can't for this because of liability issues. The photos I've posted in the Gallery have mostly been from this project. The couple nights that I've gotten done early and haven't been too tired to do anything else, or haven't gone out with friends in town for the meetings, I've gone fishing for an hour or two. I wouldn't take my failure to ask you to drive down from MA on short notice as a personal insult -- yet.

its nice to see members were in this area (very non abundant place for natives) and they went out collecting and didn't want other local members around. so much for teaching and educating people. it would have been nice to see some real experienced people around here where i collect. would of thought me being a member would have granted me that luxury at least. guess not [-X

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

While I've never been to an ASIH meeting I've been to plenty of AFS and other meetings the past few years and what Richard, Dave, and Bruce have said is correct. Just this past American Fisheries Society meeting in Nashville there was a trip scheduled by the organization to go to the Duck River at one of the best locations for fish and mussels in the country. Do you know how many people went on the trip? Three. It was canceled beacuse no one signed up. There is just too much jam packed into a few days for those kinds of things to get much attention, even when they are worked into the schedule of the meeting.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

thanks for the responses. i just didnt wanna miss out on an opportunity myself to meet anyone. i understand how busy it is. i misspoke. sorry for that

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

thanks for the responses. i just didnt wanna miss out on an opportunity myself to meet anyone. i understand how busy it is. i misspoke. sorry for that

Easiest solution would have been to attend the meeting... most of the time these things are not really closed... yes, it is not the same thing as being out in the water all day... yes, it costs some money (but so does gas to wander around the countryside as I am sometimes wont to do)... but there is a lot to learn out there and a lot that can be learned from meetings like this... it is just a different forum from which to think about and learn about our natives.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users