spending time in the river

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

I decided to spend time in the connecticut river, testing my underwater camera, fishing, and sampling.

I went a bit downstream from the Vernon dam where a eddy went along the shoreline. I was suprised at the power of the eddy current. I wasn't even in the main current and staying still was tough without standing. Bavy bass were common as were sunfish. I found that if I let myself drift in the current sometimes a bass or sunfish would start drifting parallel to me keeping pace with me. I even had a quite large smallmouth bass hang with me for a while.

My underwater camera however had a big problem, due to glare and lack of contrast on the cameras viewscreen I couldn't see what the camera was focusing on. I did get a pic of the big bass and a small one but i did not upload them as I didn't think anyone here would appreciate a magic eye painting quality pic. Adjusting contrast makes the bass stand out more but still it is not a very clear photo.

I tried some fishing, had bites but no fish, so I decided to try sampling. Their were alot of tiny fish, all the same kind, near the shore but they proved to be hard to catch. I finally got one and was suprised. It was a smallmouth bass, with a bright orange spot on its tail.

Posted Image

I didn't know bass could have orange spots on their tails. I fished since i was young and never seen it before. Is it something only very small bass get?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

I didn't know bass could have orange spots on their tails. I fished since i was young and never seen it before. Is it something only very small bass get?

Yes, I was taught to identify very small smallmouth by their "tri-colored" tails... red/orange, black and clear/white
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

I finally got one and was suprised. It was a smallmouth bass, with a bright orange spot on its tail.

how did you not know that that they had an orange spot on them? you caught them with me at the cape! im confused.here is the actualy pic of the fish we sampled :-({|=
Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 17 July 2010 - 09:47 PM.

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

how did you not know that that they had an orange spot on them? you caught them with me at the cape! im confused.here is the actualy pic of the fish we sampled :-({|=
Posted Image

I didn't get a good look at it and the orange is not that bright in that picture. Odd how the one from the cape has more obvious stripes. (then again i always wondered how come i never caught an adult smallmouth with stripes but i see them like that all the time in fishing magazines).

Edited by FirstChAoS, 17 July 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

I decided to upload the best fish pic io took underwater. it's not that good. Can you spot a big bass in this picture?

Posted Image

I swear it's almost like those magic eye things that you stare at until it appears, but unlike them i can actually find the bass not crude outlines while other see details. Ok, the bass is crude outlines, but still.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Uh, it's like watching submarine races?

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

It's almost impossible to get a good underwater picture unless you are underwater with the camera. If the water is very clear and the angle of the sun just right, you might be able to get a shot or two. I was able to take some pictures once under those conditions, but most of my shots were just rocks.

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

It's almost impossible to get a good underwater picture unless you are underwater with the camera. If the water is very clear and the angle of the sun just right, you might be able to get a shot or two. I was able to take some pictures once under those conditions, but most of my shots were just rocks.

i was underwater with the camera, but due to a mix of glare and poor showing of details on the cameras screen i couldn't see what i was aiming at on it and couldn't focus on a target with it.

#9 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

That is a nice little guy, the ones around here don't have an orange spot that bright, it's almost a brown line.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users