Native Gambusia

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_liweihan_*

Guest_liweihan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I am a grad student studying invasive species and I am working on building a collection of native Gambusia (affinis and holbrooki). If anyone knows of places in the southeastern US that would be good for collecting I'd appreciate the input. Preferably, I would like to collect from streams/rivers/lakes and not from man-made pools or other places they may have been transported to for one reason or another, but I realize that may be a challenge. If anyone has Gambusia they could collect and send to me I would be ecstatic and can discuss it with you further. I am located in Georgia and will be doing some collecting trips this fall. Thanks.

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

I think you'll have good luck collecting these in streams, rivers, lakes, roadside ditches, drainage ponds and some mud puddles. I have yet to see a permanent body of water in South Carolina that wasn't infested with these.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'd be happy to aim you at streams in the Tennessee River drainage in north Alabama that have Gambusia populations that are probably native.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

I am also in Athens, and have access to a few spots where you can collect Gambusia holbrooki. I have a few spots where they live in pools of tiny streams. I also have access to several small spring-fed ponds built in the 1950s if you are at all interested. I lived in Knoxville, TN for 5 years and know of a few good G. affinis spots if you are interested in traveling that far. But as mentioned, you'll have a hard time not finding any...

May I ask who your professor is? I am also a grad student..

Edited by UncleWillie, 04 August 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Gambusia (presumably G. holbrooki) are abundant in brackish ditches and creeks where I am right now on the Outer Banks, NC. I wouldn't think they were imported; nobody stocks skeeterfish in saltwater, right? G. affinis are immensely abundant in any floodplain stream, swamp, or reservoir margin in about the western third of Tennessee. They thin out a bit east of there and may be introduced in the upland areas.

#6 Guest_D_Wilkins_*

Guest_D_Wilkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

I would be happy to pick up some from SC for you ( primarly the costal plain). Do you them live, in formalin or ethanol? What sample size from each location?

David

#7 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Gambusia (presumably G. holbrooki) are abundant in brackish ditches and creeks where I am right now on the Outer Banks, NC. I wouldn't think they were imported; nobody stocks skeeterfish in saltwater, right? G. affinis are immensely abundant in any floodplain stream, swamp, or reservoir margin in about the western third of Tennessee. They thin out a bit east of there and may be introduced in the upland areas.

Hi Newt,

Where are you in the Outer Banks? I was in Nags Head back in June and saw gambusia in all of the small ponds/ditches in the Nags Head area.

To the original poster: I am in Lancaster County, PA and I also have a source for gambusia from a local lake. They are definitely invasive here.

Dean

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Ocracoke, about 70 miles south of Nags Head. Only for another week, though, then I must head back to Tennessee.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users