Is it possible?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TheCoggster_*

Guest_TheCoggster_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Is it possible to pull an 8 foot seine by yourself in a lake and still catch fish? The lake in question is incredibly clear, so the fish always see you coming and take off, the fish are also usually in very shallow water. Any advice on how to make it work?

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

In clear water I use snorkel. Prefer dark over white mesh.

I did it with a 40 foot seine in spring that was 15 to 20 feet deep where seine was set. A smaller seine also works same in smaller volume of water but not as dramatic to describe. Set one braile on bank or in thick aquatic vegetation and float other out in water. Do it so adequate bag. Trick is to let fish get used to seine so go swim around somewhere else for a bit. Then slowly drive fish into bag. If done right they will move as group like sheep. If pushed too hard they will bolt like hogs and try to get past you. Species is a factor. Once fish into bag, then pull floating braile to other braile. Pull lead line first to tighten bag. Some species will jump as bag gets tighter, especially black basses.

If all goes well fish will hardly try to fight mesh. I transfer fish by hand from bag into bucket as lead and float lines slowly sinched up. Even when doing this slowly you will be worn out. Species collected will likely be different from those captured by more active two person method.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Kind of like Centrarchid said. The short answer is yes, although I generally use a much longer seine. I anchor one end and make a sweep towards the shore with the other end.

#4 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

In CT you can not use a seine in a lake or pond. You may want to double check your states regulaitons.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users