Rhode Island Saltwater

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

Two weeks ago and this week I went to Rhode Island on a saltwater sampling trip with Bumpylemon (Justin).

The trip two weeks ago we went to a rocky beach for the first stop.

We seined and dipnetted and got alot of cunner, menhaden, and pipefish and a few bandtail puffer.

Our next stop was a marshy salt pond. It was full of mummichog and rainwater killifish. We also got a few gulf toadfish, tautog, and maybe a goby or a gunnel (i am not sure if i remember that right). I also followed a 8 inch long fish with a big head but couldn't catch it so I couldn't tell what it was. (but being big headed and going along the bottom likely narrows it down to toadfish, sculpin, sea raven, and sea robin).

Our last stop was A canal area. I netted quite a few silversides, cunner, and my prize from that trip, a small flounder I caught when I slid my net under a rock.

Today we returned to the rocky beach. Snorking we saw cunner everywhere and Justin saw a butterflyfish but couldn't catch it.

Swimming among the eelgrass I saw something unusual. Floating between the eel grass was what appeared to be an unusual piece of vegetation completely different than any other vegetation their. It looked so out of place it seemed suspicious. I went to net it (with a very tiny 6 inch net) and it moved (but was too slow to excape) it was a very large filefish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also saw some slightly elongated (not pike like, but elongated oval shaped body) olive green fish with black horizontal stripes going from head to tail but i was unable to catch them to see what they were.

Later we started seining. In addition to netting some stickleback, cunner, and pipefish we got a "bean" (most likely a boxfish). A couple filefish. and a bandtail puffer.

The filefish. what they file is beyond me

Posted Image

Posted Image

the bandtail puffer, last fish you'll ever eat.... their deadly toxic

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had a very fun time.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

I forgot to add that we also got a bluespotted coronetfish.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users