Hi! From Texas

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SilverBinder_*

Guest_SilverBinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Not a real new member but an off and on one. I am a science teacher and aquarist in the Houston, TX area.
My native fish interest include collecting and breeding native killies and livebearers.I am pushing a thousand gallons of tanks at this point.
I belong to too many societies both here and in England. The bulk of my collection is of Livebearer species from North America. The only native Texas species that I maintain are Heterandria formosa, Gamgusia a. affinis, G. a. holbrooki (Florida), G. geiseri (Comal River), Poecilia latipinna, and P. formosa. These are maintained in flock breeding tanks of 10 to 30 gallons. In larger tanks, I have two non-relatd species in each well planted tank(Najas, Hornworth, and Jama Moss). All were collected withing 50 miles of Houston (excepting geiseri, and a. holbrooki.) All tanks are fed flake, spirulina, boiled lettuce and zuccini, brine shrimp frozen and live, and blackworms frozen. I usually have a two tank system for rarer species with one tank flock breeding and the other a fry tank. Excess fish are sold(Aquabid) or donated to local school Aquatic Science classes. All fish were collected in accordance with the Texas Parks and Wildlife regulations at the time of collection No fish are ever returned to the wild! I have been an active aquarist for fifty one years. I am beginning to reduce the number of the above in anticipation of beginning breeding Fundulus natives. Fundulus require larger and longer tanks (in my experience) for breeding but they do well with flock breeding. To date: I have maintained and bred Fundulus notatus, F. chrysotus, F. olivaceus, and Lucania parva in fifteen to thirty gallon long tanks using water pumps to creat current where necessary. Tanks were planted and mops were added to monitor egg production. Well here's hopping for a long stay at NANFA.

Stanley Perkins
NANFA, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA, SAS,

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Stanley.

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Welcome Stanley.
That's an impressive amount of fish you maintain and breed. I hope we get to know you and in time pass on some tips to us.

Thanks for signing up.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users