Orange Spotted Sunfish Parasite?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

I have two young O-spot sunfish about the size of a dime. One of them has three or four small white round things inside of it. Thje spots seem to be growing.
The fish are small enough so you can almost see through them.
Does this sound like a parasite anyone is familiar with?

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Look up common name "Yellow grub" and see if that is your culprit.
I believe the scientific name is Clinostomum marginatum.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

This may be it, I did not find much info geared towards the aquarist, more scientific data which overwhelms this adhd kid and info for people fishing/eating the fish.
I think I will just put it in a bucket with some parasite meds for a day or so.

Edited by Elijah, 08 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#4 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

They aren't an easy thing to get rid of. You can try a medication with praziquantel. I've read that people have actually performed surgery to manually remove them as well but that requires anesthetizing your fish.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

They aren't an easy thing to get rid of. You can try a medication with praziquantel. I've read that people have actually performed surgery to manually remove them as well but that requires anesthetizing your fish.

Praziquantel in my experience is a bit rough on fish, but seems to kill most of the "grubs". If you do have yellow grub, you can just leave them; they shouldn't do much harm to the fish.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

Praziquantel in my experience is a bit rough on fish, but seems to kill most of the "grubs". If you do have yellow grub, you can just leave them; they shouldn't do much harm to the fish.

If the fish is heavily infected, then death of internal parasites occuring too rapidly may result in loss of fish do to secondary infections. On other hand, if fish not infected or infection light, then Praziquantel not so stressfull. As indicated above, sunfish fish generally survive trematode infections just fine but I think infections do slow growth or prevent reproduction if infection heavy. Very young fish sometimes die if infection heavy.

Edited by centrarchid, 08 September 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

I guess my experience differs from yours. I've treated fish that ranged from heavily to lightly infested at the same time (in the same tank) and all fish appeared to lose color and appetite. Perhaps I'm "doing it wrong".

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Keep in mind that yellow grub trematodes cannot reproduce in your aquarium or spread to other fish. They just sit there waiting for the fish to be eaten by a bird, to complete their life cycle. So treatment is really not important in an aquarium setting, unless as Centrarchid says there's enough of them in one fish to do damage.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

I guess my experience differs from yours. I've treated fish that ranged from heavily to lightly infested at the same time (in the same tank) and all fish appeared to lose color and appetite. Perhaps I'm "doing it wrong".

Differing observations could be due to more than one factor. One that comes to my mind is that other internal parasites might also be present, even though they are not as evident as yellow grub occuring in membranes of fins or otherwise easy to see locations. Other trematodes can infect heavily organs such as liver as well as tissues associated with digestive tract. Killing a large number of those simultaneously could stress individuals that otherwise appear free of parasites.

I must also relate that if I treat a large number of breeder size bluegill; say a hundred, then loosing a few is to be expected.

#10 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

Ah, well I did medicate this fish for 24 hours. It has quit a few parasites inside, one looks to be on its spine. This fish has lost what little color it had and is growing very slowly. It's fins are often half closed. It is still alive, but not looking great. I was hoping to breed them.
Thanks for the info.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users