First Collecting Trip

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Dustin Smith was kind enough to take a small group out collecting yesterday, and what a BLAST! It was so much fun, and so interesting to see all the different fish and learn about them.

And, I got my beloved chubs!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Three big and healthy, adorable chubs.

I also got some greenfin shiners; a nice school of 6.

I've been surprised that they have taken to commercial food instantly. Basically, they've eaten anything I drop in the tank!

Here's a few pics of the shiners and chubs in the tank:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chubilicious:

Posted Image

:mrgreen:

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 14 September 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like you had a very good time.
good luck with your new tanks of fish

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Excellent! Now it's time to join NANFA! It's cheap.

#4 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

Excellent! Now it's time to join NANFA! It's cheap.

I think you're right, so I just joined. I'm an official NANFA member now! So, how do I get my status changed to reflect that I joined NANFA?

I'm quite smitten with my natives, and I see several more collecting trips in my future! :smile2:

Edited by twohuskies, 14 September 2010 - 05:53 AM.

#5 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

I'm glad you had a good time. It was a rather short trip with a limited number of species. Here is what we got:

Greenfin shiner, Cyprinella chloristia
Whitefin shiner, C. nivea
Sandbar shiner, Notropis scepticus
Swallowtail shiner, N. procne
Spottail shiner, N. hudsonius
Creek chub, Semotilus atromaculatus
Bluehead chub, Nocomis leptacephalus
White sucker, Catostomus commersoni
Notchlip redhorse, Moxostoma collapsum
Flat bullhead, Ameiurus platycephalus
Redbreast, Lepomis auritus
Bluegill, L. macrochirus
Pirate perch, Apredoderus sayanus
Tesselated darter, Etheostoma olmstedi
Carolina darter, Etheostoma collis
Piedmont darter, Percina crassa

I may have missed a few in the writhing masses of silvery fish.

Interestingly, we went to 6 spots and all but two of these streams were completely dried up. The streams that did have water were very low.

#6 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

TwoHuskies, you will really enjoy your bluehead chubs - They are very active and fun to watch.

Dustin, If you don't mind - what kind of habitat did you find the flat bullhead in? I am trying to locate them in in the Ocmulgee River, GA where there are reports of a population, but have been unsuccessful in attempts to find any. One was actually a false report and turned out to be a juvenile flathead. So far we have found snail bullheads in the faster parts of the streams, with flatheads occupying the slower portions.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Will, we got the bullhead from an undercut bank. With the stream levels as low as they were, there wasn't a lot of flow, or undercut bank for that matter. It would appear that there would be flow through the areas where we typically get them though, not on the margins of stagnant pools. I have taken them in the past from around boulders in the middle of streams as well.

#8 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

TwoHuskies, you will really enjoy your bluehead chubs - They are very active and fun to watch.

I adore the chubs! I've been surprised that they are not shy at all. They come to the front of the tank to greet me, and swim around without a care in the world. While the shiners don't come to greet me, they don't swim for cover when I approach either. Both of them are great fish, but if I had to pick a fav, it would be the chubs! I feel lucky to have them, and have Dustin to thank for them. :biggrin:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users