New Tank

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

I have an established 55 gal tank at home and I'm going to be bringing a couple back up to the 35 gal tank in my apartment here at school this weekend. The 35 gal tank has been cycling for over a month and has been treated with both liquid tap water conditioner and bacteria supplement. I was just wondering it anybody had any last-minute advice of stuff I could do to the tank up here so its easier on the transfer fish when they get back. I know its kind of vague so if anybody needs extra information to help just ask and I'll provide.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

bring some of the crud from your current filter along to help seed the new tank.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Remember that a tank doesn't cycle unless it has a source of ammonia (animals, decaying organic matter, or bottled ammonia). If you added nitrifying bacteria culture weeks ago but there's no source of ammonia, those bacteria may now be dead. Either take filter pads from an established filter, or add more bacteria culture just before adding the fish.

#4 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

What would disadvantages of adding too much of the liquid bacteria supplement be?

#5 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

What would disadvantages of adding too much of the liquid bacteria supplement be?

Depends whether or not the stuff you bought was a scam. If it's actually just liquid nitrosomonas and nitrospira bacteria, then there's no disadvantage. But if there were icky filler or if you bought snake oil, then too much could be toxic. I'd pay close attention to the ingredients on the bottle. Don't buy that stuff next time. Just seed the new filter with a high surface area material from an established filter.

Also, test your water to see if your tank actually is cycled. If it's cycled, then there should be 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and a measureable amount of nitrate (at least 5 or 10 ppm. Up to 30 ppm. Above 30, do a water change to decrease the concentration). Info: http://www.fishkeepi...ing-article.htm

As to your original question on how to help your fish while traveling and acclimating:
1. Store them in a breathable bag. Kordon's a good brand.
2. Don't let them roll around or slosh while traveling. If the breathing bag is filled all the way up to the top, there won't be any air space to cause splashing and irritate the fish. Secure the bags so that they can't roll around and possibly violently stop.
3. Transport them in darkness. And gradually acclimate them to light when opening the box/container they're in. The darkness calms them (like blinders on a horse, or a hooded falcon), but suddenly going back to bright light might shock them. Do things gradually. Open the box, walk away, take them out, walk away, begin water acclimation, walk away, etc.
4. Drip acclimate. That's when you slowly exchange the water in the bag with the water in the tank. They should be able to adjust to their new pH and mineral content gradually. Drip acclimating makes for a higher survival rate.

Also, I'm sure you already knew this, but don't transport a tank with any water in it. It can slosh back and forth during transport and break the tank. Not to mention that at eight and a half pounds per gallon, water is too heavy to transport any amount safely. Don't do it. Transport tanks dry.
And unplug heaters half an hour before removing them from the water. My buddy didn't listen to me on that one and the ceramic glass part cracked. He had to buy a new one.
And keep your filter media wet during transport so the beneficial bacteria can survive.

Etc. Etc. I'm kind of an expert in fish transport nowadays. Like you, I'm at school. I'm a fourth year student at Case Western Reserve University, and my 55 gallon aquarium goes everywhere I do. Which usually involves putting it in the back of a pickup truck and driving it where I'm going.
So if you have any fish transportation questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me. I'm websurfer89 (at) hotmail.com, and I know what you're going through. Don't worry; it'll be okay. Most fish survive transport just fine. *nods* ^_^

Edited by Newt, 14 September 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Wasting your money. If you already have a cycled tank, you have all the bacteria you need in your dirty filter. Squeeze the dirty media into the new filter, or directly into the tank.

#7 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:40 AM

I never buy that bottled stuff any more. From what I've read most of it is a total scam and as said before, adding some scudge from your old filter, or media from it... works great.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Maybe you can start an aquarium moving service, EELS ON WHEELS

I'm kind of an expert in fish transport nowadays. Like you, I'm at school. I'm a fourth year student at Case Western Reserve University, and my 55 gallon aquarium goes everywhere I do. Which usually involves putting it in the back of a pickup truck and driving it where I'm going.

#9 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Maybe you can start an aquarium moving service, EELS ON WHEELS

ah...hah hah.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users