Why can't the public view our forums?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi,

I was just wondering why the public can't view our NANFA forums. I mean, wasn't one of the phrases in the constitution something about promoting information about native fish? I thought that we wanted other people to be able to see these forum posts to be able to read and learn about native fish from them. But when I was talking to a non-NANFA member and linked them to one of the discussions on this site, they couldn't view it.

I can understand why public people can't post on this forum (because you want them to pay to join, maybe? That makes sense). But I think they should at least be able to see and read about the discussions here without having to create a username. If not, then it's kind of like the phrase about promoting knowledge about native North American fish doesn't exist. We can't share knowledge with people if they are banned from seeing what we say.

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 September 2010 - 09:33 AM.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

Anybody can view the text of messages posted (except in certain member-only parts of the forum). But they cannot view photos or articles attached to posted messages until they join the forum. Anybody can join the forum for free, whether they've joined NANFA or not. To see what non-forum-members can or cant do, click "sign out" just below your name at the upper right.

Also, there's loads of great articles and photo gallery accessible to all from the NANFA website, totally independent of this forum.

Edited by gerald, 24 September 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#3 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

There are three types of viewers :

Visitors - anonymous viewer

NANFA Guest - registered forum member, non-NANFA member

NANFA Member - registered forum member, dues paying NANFA member

As you progress, you get more access to the forum. There are NANFA member only sections but if you linked someone to a non-"NANFA member only" section, then the only thing they should be missing is pictures. If that is not the case, let me know and I will look into it.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

Okay, thank you for the clarification. I was trying to link someone to my Elassoma gilberti topic, and it wouldn't work. I checked it out once again and it turns out that it was the website I was using to talk to the person that was to blame, not the NANFA forum. Headsup, youtube won't let you copy and paste URLs from a comment on a video.

I'm glad these forums are public. And people can always download the image if they want it, right?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users