Hello from Washington State

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

...so i cant find regulations on collecting fish anywhere..i am calling fish and wild life tomorrow to ask them my self...the site says nothing about collecting and keeping native fish...does any one know any regulations on it in Washington State?

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:31 AM

...so i cant find regulations on collecting fish anywhere..i am calling fish and wild life tomorrow to ask them my self...the site says nothing about collecting and keeping native fish...does any one know any regulations on it in Washington State?

http://forum.nanfa.o...186-washington/

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

Maybe this will help? http://wdfw.wa.gov/f...ng/regulations/ Particularly that fishing packet you can download.

They list a number you can call, too:
Fishing Hotline
360-902-2500

But it looks like a no. http://forum.nanfa.o...9380-seine-net/
That stinks. I'm sorry.

Edited by EricaWieser, 15 October 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#4 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

no the website is no help,

i called fish and game today and the officer said no one cares as long as im not releasing in other locations, selling, or putting them in out door ponds that can connect to other bodies of water.

and on that note here is my 20 gallon cold water Sculpin tank....and its inhabitants
i have had the large female for over a year now, caught her at about an inch and a half, the 4 smaller sculpin were collected this last spring at around 1/4 an inch
first pic up is of the tank
Posted Image
my main beast...Prickly sculpin..possibly female
Posted Image
Posted Image
two of my small prickly sculpin
Posted Image
Posted Image
two unknown sculpin
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Kaosu, 15 October 2010 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Interesting tank. Your mottled sculpin is most certainly not a mottled sculpin. Likely either gulosus or asper but I can't tell from that photo. I've got some ideas on the unknowns, but they'd only be best guesses without anal fin ray and some other counts...

Where are these from? That would go a long way towards excluding a couple of possible species...

#6 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Interesting tank. Your mottled sculpin is most certainly not a mottled sculpin. Likely either gulosus or asper but I can't tell from that photo. I've got some ideas on the unknowns, but they'd only be best guesses without anal fin ray and some other counts...

Where are these from? That would go a long way towards excluding a couple of possible species...

sorry they had first been IDed as mottled but the large one is infact a prickly like the two smaller ones... and iv been trying to get better fin pics of the two dark ones.

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

nice fish! i like the first one.

oh and 74 degrees is your cold water sculpin tank? lol :laugh:

#8 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

nice fish! i like the first one.

oh and 74 degrees is your cold water sculpin tank? lol :laugh:

thank you
and no the tank is not at 74 that thermometer is off by 4 degrees, its there so i can glance at it and see if the tank is warming up i have a smaller one up further on the tank (shown in the first pic) that is correct the tank stays around or below 70 depending on if i have the fan on or not.

#9 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

what were your ideas on the two unknown? ill try for better pics soon,
and they were collected from Clear Lake, in Skagit Valley Wa

#10 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

what were your ideas on the two unknown? ill try for better pics soon, and they were collected from Clear Lake, in Skagit Valley Wa

Cottus aleuticus and Cottus perplexus. Most of the C. aleuticus that I've seen have a more prominent pale area at the top of the caudal peduncle (even in otherwise dark juveniles), so I'd be more tempted to lean towards C. perplexus, at least without having a good anal fin ray count and the ability to pull the fish out of the tank and look for palatine teeth ;)

If you can find them (and they should be fairly common locally), peamouth make excellent aquarium fish that might stay more in mid-water (and away from the jaws of death!). Published photos of "nuptial" males don't do them justice.

I thought WA had pretty restrictive laws on keeping native fish, but maybe they've backed off on the regs...

cheers,
Dave

#11 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

Cottus aleuticus and Cottus perplexus. Most of the C. aleuticus that I've seen have a more prominent pale area at the top of the caudal peduncle (even in otherwise dark juveniles), so I'd be more tempted to lean towards C. perplexus, at least without having a good anal fin ray count and the ability to pull the fish out of the tank and look for palatine teeth ;)

If you can find them (and they should be fairly common locally), peamouth make excellent aquarium fish that might stay more in mid-water (and away from the jaws of death!). Published photos of "nuptial" males don't do them justice.

I thought WA had pretty restrictive laws on keeping native fish, but maybe they've backed off on the regs...

cheers,
Dave

ill try for better shots of there fins soon..im doing a redeco on my tank so i should be able to root them out..it was allot easier catching them at the lake then in my tank lol

and on WA and keeping fish, i have called fish and game, the laws are for out door ponds and native fish...you cannot stock out door ponds with out license/inspections...they literally tolled me "no one cares" about keeping them in home aquariums as long as they were collected with a fishing license, and not releasing them later.

#12 Guest_travishaas_*

Guest_travishaas_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

What did the folks at Fish and Game say about approved collecting gear? Are seines and dipnets legal to use with a fishing license? If so, what are the size restrictions?

Travis

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users