getting cheap minnows

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rjssniper_*

Guest_rjssniper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

new to keeping native fish. just wondering if anyone knows if there are any restrictions on keeping them in ohio ive done some research and can find nothing on it.
also rosy reds are quite pricy, with winter coming any tips on catching minnows? thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

new to keeping native fish. just wondering if anyone knows if there are any restrictions on keeping them in ohio ive done some research and can find nothing on it.
also rosy reds are quite pricy, with winter coming any tips on catching minnows? thanks in advance.

you can keep minnows i believe....but "minnows" is a broad term. You need to be specific. Some minnows are protected im sure. Catching minnows is as easy as grabbing a net and scooping in the water

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

It's a good time to collect fish now with cooler weather, since they won't be heat stressed. Like the Bumpy Lemon said it is possible to collect them yourself and Ohio is a state that doesn't have serious restrictions on this. And I like the term "cheap minnows", that might be my next band name...

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

In Ohio you need a fishing license to collect fish. You can buy one at Rite Aid or Drug Mart for $19 or $20. Once you've purchased the license, they'll give you an informational packet that has all of the legal maximums on net sizes, or you can check here: http://www.dnr.state...18/default.aspx
Once you've got your license and a legally sized net, you can check on that website for a good collecting site near you and go out and get some fish. The legal maximum is 500 minnows to have at any one time with that $20 license.

Where are you in Ohio? I'm in Cleveland. There are lots of people on this forum from Ohio, so if you want to go out and collect in groups, just post a topic in the local subforum with a proposed date and place. :)

Edited by EricaWieser, 23 October 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

It's also a good idea to familarize yourself with the types of fish in your area. At least you'll have some idea on what you may catch.

Use THIS to get started, zoom in on your area and click the right river drainage.

#6 Guest_rjssniper_*

Guest_rjssniper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

does anyone know if its legal to keep native fish such as bass and bluegill in ohio? i can find no restrictions on it but i was just curious

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

does anyone know if its legal to keep native fish such as bass and bluegill in ohio? i can find no restrictions on it but i was just curious

There's a limit to how many you can catch in one day: http://www.ohiodnr.c...ing_limits.aspx

And they want you to release the smaller bass so that they can grow up to be big enough to be sport fish: "Any fish not of legal size or not legally caught must be released immediately." from http://www.ohiodnr.c...ng_general.aspx

And you can't sell your bass. "It is unlawful to buy or sell any fish taken by angling from any water area in the state where an Ohio Fishing License is required." (from same website, http://www.ohiodnr.c...ng_general.aspx )

But I don't see anything against keeping one as a pet, provided that you have a fishing license when you go out and catch it.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi, there are lots of us in Ohio. Like Erica said, you need a fishing license. An Ohio resident license is $19. I believe that it is not legal to take sport fish with a seine or other net, you should either catch them with a hook or buy them from a licensed dealer. Brian Zimmerman in Central Ohio has a wide variety of sunfish. I've ordered from all three vendors listed there, and they are all great. I've also ordered from Sach's, and they are good, too.

Every time I've tried to buy rosy reds, they've all died very quickly. They are kept in such horrible conditions that they were barely alive by the time I got them. I admit I only tried buying them from a couple different places and then gave up.

#9 Guest_rjssniper_*

Guest_rjssniper_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

:mrgreen: cool, looks like im legal beagle. now im just patiently waiting a good deal on a larger aquarium :)

#10 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

I gave my bass, perch, and bluegill rosy red's twice before they started eating other foods. I wanted to make sure they had eaten something to help them survive the move. It didn't take long until they were eating crickets, krill, mealworms, earthworms, and pellets. They loved the live minnows but it was just risky (since they are kept in such horrible conditions) and pricey. But I've given them a treat a few times now since and I just went to my local baitshop and got some crappie minnows. I asked for a 1/4 scoop and I got about 24 minnows for $1.50. And the crappie minnows seem heartier, so if they don't get eaten right away, they will survive for awhile in your tank. Just a thought!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users