Crayfish that Don't Eat Plants

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

I think crayfish are marvelous little creatures, but I'm also kind of a plant fanatic too and I was wondering if there were species of crayfish that didn't go berserk at the sight of leaves. I have heard word of soft-shelled species, but nothing really solid about where the live or what species. I have a very small burrowing guy in my planted tank who I'm a little worried about. Thank you!

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

There are no soft-shelled species of crayfish, though all crays are soft for a while after moulting. Dwarf crayfish (Cambarellus sp.) are supposed to be plant-safe. Brian Zimmerman sells them.

#3 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

I wondered if there was such a thing as soft shelled crayfish. I have heard of Cambarellus; are they native? I've never seen them here, but Minnesota doesn't have very many crayfish. Who is Brian Zimmerman? I'd love to have a couple. They look really cool. Thanks.

Edited by PeterE, 24 October 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Cambarellus are native to the southeastern US and northeastern Mexico. I don't think they get up your way, but they're still "native" on the national scale. Brian is a member here ("smbass") and has a link in the vendor's section of this forum.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

You will want to contact BG Granier for DCC. Look for him at Shinerscoop

#6 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

I don't think there a totally plant safe crayfish but at least with the dwarf species they'll do less damage. Crayfish don't only eat plants they also love to redecorate tank to their liking. Floating plants do well with them as does Naja grass.

#7 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. That was really helpful. I don't really care if they do a little redecorating, and I'm pretty sure my plants can take a little damage. That's interesting that they are native. If I ever get down to that area I'll have to hunt around!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users