Bluehead Chub

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

One of my bluehead chubs is showing his tubercles. His head isn't blue, though. Could he be in breeding mode?

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

One of my bluehead chubs is showing his tubercles. His head isn't blue, though. Could he be in breeding mode?

Could be "coming into" breeding mode but not there yet.

#3 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Could be "coming into" breeding mode but not there yet.

I think you may be right. :biggrin: I see blue on the side of his head (gill plate) and at the nose. That would be awesome, but I'm afraid the redbreast in the tank will prevent any fry. :mad2:

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

With the recent cool weather and the temp in my tanks dropping, my lone bluehead chub now has 6 medium sized tubercles on his head. He has had the look of tubercles for a while, but never fully developed. However, at the moment, they are noticeably larger. He is 2 years old now (I think), and has grown from 2inches when I caught him August 2009, to 6 inches now. He is a stud and one of my favorite fish. I really want to get a larger, stream tank set up for him )I have one in storage), but for now he will have to stay in the slow water dollar sunfish tank until I have more time/space.

#5 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Congratulations. Looks like the fish are settling in nicely.

#6 Guest_twohuskies_*

Guest_twohuskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Congratulations. Looks like the fish are settling in nicely.

They are, Dustin! I adore these chubs, and can't thank you enough for helping me collect them. :biggrin:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users