stocking a 45g

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CreekStomper_*

Guest_CreekStomper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:08 AM

I'm preparing to move my native turtle to a new enclosure, and so his 45g is soon to be open. I figure now would be as good a time as any to start a native fish habitat.

I'm thinking sunfish, but there's so much information out there that it's hard to determine what exactly would be suitable for a 45g tank. Species I'm interested in are the more bass-like species like green sunfish (which I know may not be an option because of size and aggression), and also the smaller ones like orange-spotted. I chose these because they are to my area (or at least my state, IL).

One other question I have is: what is the natural range of the northern longear sunfish? I can't seem to find any info on that specific species. It's very much a possibility because of size and attractiveness, but I'd like to know if it's local.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

#2 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

You certainly have some sort of longear near you, just not sure which one.

#3 Guest_CreekStomper_*

Guest_CreekStomper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

If it helps, I think this is a longear, and I know it was caught in the creek that runs through the UIUC campus by a local middle school class.

Posted Image

Josh

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

This might be helpful to you: http://www.inhs.uiuc...sh/ilfish.html. It doesn't distinguish northern and central longears, but will help with other distribution questions.

I'm not very familiar with northern longears, but I believe the oblique angle of the "ear" is a northern tendency. Central longears, at least down here, have the ear coming straight back.

#5 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

Northern ear tabs are also edged in white and red.

#6 Guest_CreekStomper_*

Guest_CreekStomper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the help, folks. I might see if I can contact someone in the Natural Resource Management department at the UofI, as they'd probably be able to give me more localized info.

Josh

#7 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

I'm preparing to move my native turtle to a new enclosure, and so his 45g is soon to be open. I figure now would be as good a time as any to start a native fish habitat.

I'm thinking sunfish, but there's so much information out there that it's hard to determine what exactly would be suitable for a 45g tank. Species I'm interested in are the more bass-like species like green sunfish (which I know may not be an option because of size and aggression), and also the smaller ones like orange-spotted. I chose these because they are to my area (or at least my state, IL).

One other question I have is: what is the natural range of the northern longear sunfish? I can't seem to find any info on that specific species. It's very much a possibility because of size and attractiveness, but I'd like to know if it's local.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

From my experience I wouldnt go with the Greens (way to aggressive for a 45g), IMHO Orangespots would work really well and you could even keep some Slender or Margined madtoms in the tank for diversity.

#8 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

A couple Warmouth probably would be alright, that's as bass like as it gets without the aggression problems of greens.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users