• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hello all,

Not sure if this belongs here or in the photography section but here goes. A reputable tattoo artist is going to be in the area and is well known for his ability for producing amazing marine animals. I am interested in having him try his hand out at one of our native stream species--primarily one of our more colorful darter species, or a breeding male shiner sp. The problem is I am nothing special when it comes to photography, which means I do not have a good photo library to select from. I was hoping that some of you might be willing to give me permission to use one of your photos as a reference. I was hoping to get a full body shot, with erected fins. The 'staged' photos with the dark backgrounds would be preferable. I will include a home email at the bottom if you have any high resolution photos you wish to send as to not clog up forum. Not sure how to offer the photographer credit if his/her pic is used, but I will be sure to include a photo of the tatt once/if it is completed.

I hope this is fish related enough as to not get deleted. I am very proud of our native fauna and hope to be able to display it.

Thanks in advance or at least for listening.

uarunick@yahoo.com
Nick L.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

I cant help with a pic but commend you on your idea for a tat. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

#3 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

DId you have a look here?
http://gallery.nanfa.org/http://gallery.nanfa.org/

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

Might be easier to get the colors right working from an illustration, rather than a photo.
See Joe Tomelleri's totally incredible drawings at:

http://www.americanf.../thumbnails.htm

Or in one of the books he's illustrated, such as Fishes of Alabama (Boschung, Mayden & Tomelleri 2004)

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Too much color will run within a period of years, otherwise I'd suggest rainbow darters.

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

dafrimpster--I have browsed through the members pictures and seen a bunch of great pictures, but wanted to get the individual photographers permission before using the picture. Perhaps I should just PM them and ask.

gerald--I do have Fishes of Alabama and the artwork is incredible. But again, I don't want to step on any toes using someones drawing/photographs without permission.

fundulus--could you explain about the colors running? I have had a tatt (inner bicept where it isn't exposed to much sunlight)for 3 yrs. that is block letting filled in fading from black to red) there is no bleeding but there was a deliberate attempt to blend. Nothing against many of our darter species that are muted oranges, browns, blacks and yellows, but I was looking for one of our more colorful species. Are you saying that if there is a bunch of colors that it will look bad in a few years? The Rainbow darter was a first thought, but (no offense to the Rainbow fanatics out there) I wanted to go with something a little more obscure.

Perhaps darters with all their elaborate colors and detail wouldn't be a good candidate for a tattoo, sigh. (I'm not giving up yet). Those with tatts--would you assume that a species with a few colors, that fade from one to the next (such as a Rosyside dace/Scarlet shiner/Flame chub, etc) or have distince regions of color (such as a MRBD, Flagfin shiner, Snubnose darter would be a better choice?
Nick L.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Color bleed won't happen in 3 years. But it will over 15 or more years. I've seen it a lot (not on me, if you were wondering...). And I'd guess they won't show it much on that TV show LA Ink.

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Well, here is the (2/3) finished product. I will be getting color in early May. (The "red" you see is my body's reaction to be stabbed a million times by needles). Sorry for the poor quality pic, I took it just after we finished for the day on my cell phone. The piece is ~10"x4"...and yes, at times it certainly 'tickled' being on the ribs. I will post a better photo once it heals and after I get color.

Let the squabbling begin over what species it is.....

Attached Files

Nick L.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am not a tattoo person, so won't comment on that... but I would say that the artwork is quite nice, your guy did a good job!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

That should look sweet when its done. Keep us updated please!

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

It looks like a Redline, Etheostoma rufilineatum? But i can't quite see the tail, and I'm probably wrong anyway. Is it being done from a stencil?

#12 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Oh wow that is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is done. If you don't mind my asking, who/where is the artist/shop?

#13 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Oh wow that is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is done. If you don't mind my asking, who/where is the artist/shop?

Greg Piper. Manassas, VA
Nick L.

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

That's awesome. I'm so jealous. No doubt it's a redline, even without color. I wouldn't be able to decide on what Darter I would want to use.... Awesome choice though.

#15 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

You guys are good. It is indeed a Redline.
Nick L.

#16 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Very nice, I look forward to seeing the finished tat!

#17 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Also, I didn't realize, but that thing is HUGE!! Congrat on having the guts to have a 10x4 Redline on your side...I still love it.

#18 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

After 13 months I finally got this guy finished. The paint is still drying as it was just completed a week ago. I'm curious to see how well it attracts females (of the darter/fish variety) while in the streams collecting.
Finished darter tatt

Nick L.

#19 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I gotta say, that's a real commitment.

#20 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Wow, Nick, that's some awesome ink. The artist did a great job. Congrats on getting it all colored up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users