Longears or dollar sunfish?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bobsvinyl_*

Guest_bobsvinyl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've been raising tropical fish, mostly Central and South American cichlids, for over 45 years. I remember getting the aquarium addiction as a kid when I caught pumpkinseeds in the local pond, and now I'm thinking about trying a native tank. I'm thinking about setting up a 30 gallon long with Lepomis. I like both the Western dollars and Northern longears. I'd appreciate any thoughts on these species. Which of these 2 species adapt the best to dry and frozen food? From what I've read, the dollars seem to do better. I have sponge and HOB power filters. I wasn't sure what type of water movement they prefer. Also, how many would comfortably fit in a 30 long? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'm enjoying the NANFA site and I've been reading many of the threads. Bob

#2 Guest_wilded_*

Guest_wilded_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

I have a 4 inch longear and a 4 inch longear/green sunfish hybrid and they both eat floating cichlid pellets as a regular diet with treats on the side. Everytime we have fish I trim the raw fillets and feed them a little. They will take it from my hand and I have only had them about 6 weeks.

Edited by wilded, 11 November 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

I have kept and bred both at same time. Requirements very similar although as breeding size reached, western dollars tend to be more more agressive, especially males.

Both will readily consume any prepared diet, pellets or flake. Dollars might feed train a little faster.

Western dollars tend to grow slower especially at lower temperatures which is consistent with natural ranges.

Edited by centrarchid, 11 November 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#4 Guest_bobsvinyl_*

Guest_bobsvinyl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you think 3 fish are okay?

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you think 3 fish are okay?

A 30-gallon long suitable until need to breed sets in. Then a partition or heavy cover may be needed to provide female(s) refuge from male advances / aggression.

#6 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have 5 western dollars (2m/3f) in a 46 gallon tank. They are a little under 1.5 years old, I got them from Brian Zimmerman summer 2009. Sizes between females is similar(2''), with 2 males being larger, and one dominant male that is 3''. I observe occasional squabbles, but the tank is very heavily planted. And as said, they aren't wanting to to spawn yet, which is when they can get nasty. I did observe one instance where the large males fanned out an area of gravel very briefly (but this was before they were even a year old, so I don't really think he knew what he was doing). Anyone ever heard of juvenile fish showing this behavior?
Anyway, I agree that 3 fish (1m/2f) would be okay in a 30 for a while.

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Juveniles no, but at 2" both sexes are capable of reproducing, successfully. Age not all that important. I have pushed more than one species of sunfish so hard in terms of growth that they can breed at only ninety days post-conception. It is about size, condition, photoperiod / temperature, and social status.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users