grass pickerel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fearme37_*

Guest_fearme37_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

i have recently discovered native fish. i used to have tropicals (tiger barbs) etc. but now im done with that and im on to natives. i have thought for a while what fish to get. i have decided on the grass pickerel. now i know SOME things, but not nearly enough. im getting a 100 gal tank. i know how big they get, i know they like plants, and what they like to eat (sorta). i also know there not really compatible with too much... but im gonna give 'em a shot. but i need to know some things.
-what do i use for soil? (gravel,sand,etc)

-what tempature should i keep the tank?

-what plant are best? (or does it matter)

-how do i go about treating the water & tank?

-does the old "keep a goldfish in the tank for a week" water treatment work for them?

-will they eat nightcrawlers & goldfish?

-i have well water. will it work out?

-what filter system should i get?

-do i need a bubbler?
and any additional things i should know.

also, i live in san diego. am i doomed to buy it online? if not is there some store i could get round these parts?

thank you in advance

#2 Guest_fearme37_*

Guest_fearme37_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

oh i forgot to mention: yes i did see that basic guide for fish but for some reason i had problems opening it.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

i have recently discovered native fish. i used to have tropicals (tiger barbs) etc. but now im done with that and im on to natives. i have thought for a while what fish to get. i have decided on the grass pickerel. now i know SOME things, but not nearly enough. im getting a 100 gal tank. i know how big they get, i know they like plants, and what they like to eat (sorta). i also know there not really compatible with too much... but im gonna give 'em a shot. but i need to know some things.
-what do i use for soil? (gravel,sand,etc)

-what tempature should i keep the tank?

-what plant are best? (or does it matter)

-how do i go about treating the water & tank?

-does the old "keep a goldfish in the tank for a week" water treatment work for them?

-will they eat nightcrawlers & goldfish?

-i have well water. will it work out?

-what filter system should i get?

-do i need a bubbler?
and any additional things i should know.

also, i live in san diego. am i doomed to buy it online? if not is there some store i could get round these parts?

thank you in advance

hi Fearme37 welcome to the forum.i have had two grass pickerel in the past but both have passed mine would over eat.
i am a big fan of the aqua clear hang on filter and a eheim canister i like to have 4 times of filter rating to gallons of tank volume.
well water should work,but this is a very large topic.
under ground water can have many elements to it get a test kit.
mine would eat earthworms shrimp pellets and waxworms,mealworms plus feeder rosy red feeders.
i would stay away from feeder gold fish they have a large head and very small amount of flesh for there overall mass.
i had hornwort in my tanks they do like to hide for the most part or just lurk at the edge of cover.
all of my tanks are just room temp.
fearme37 here on the forum we have members that you could get your fish from.

http://forum.nanfa.o...available-2010/

i will add my fish did not fare well in a stream tank with sunfish and other natives from there area.
this species is quick to stress out and prone to fungus when all other fish are healthy and fine.
if i had it do over i would of set up a tank with daters and pickerel.
and do not over feed them they will eat until they kill them selves.
pickerel will eat daters for sure!!! they did in my tank.
i would have a small tank setup for rosey red feeders gut load them then feed 2-3 at a time every other day or so.
got to this site for info on tank setup he is all so a member here on the NANFA forum tool part of our association.
i hope this may help you some good luck with your fish the pickerel i a very cool fish indeed.

http://jonahsaquarium.com/

tony,
on a side note here is some laws for your state.
you may not be able to keep pikerel as your state has laws for pike.

http://forum.nanfa.o...ng-regulations/

Edited by CATfishTONY, 25 November 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

thank you in advance

Sorry, fearme37, but all Esox species are prohibited in California. California is very restrictive in its fish-keeping laws. You cannot keep true Cali natives, and you cannot keep most other temperate fishes except well-established exotics such as many centrarchids (sunfish and black basses).

I'm going to lock this topic now, but please feel free to start another topic on a different fish species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users