Whats on my fish?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:21 AM

What is this on my orangespotted sunfish?
How do you treat it?

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

They are eating, and are not rubbing agenst anything.

Almost looks like those yellow worms you see in fish your cleaning. (Most common in Yellow perch)

How do you get rid of it?

I am afread of doing the wrong thing.
I tried looking it up on the net & in my books but found mostly drawings & not a for sure match.

Please help.

#3 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Well I believe its Yellow Grub, Brian Zimmerman pointed me to another thread on this forem about them.

http://forum.nanfa.o...h__1#entry81916

Two of mine are very infected, so I might try the copper sulfate, anyone have sucess with this?

I found this on the web:

Yellow Grub

Symptoms:

Infected fish exhibit small yellow spots approximately 2 millimeters in diameter. These yellow spots can be found anywhere on the body and fins. Cysts may also be present in the internal organs.

Cause:

Larvae of digenetic worms, Cercaria and Metacercaria. The yellow spots on the fish�s body and fins contain larvae of di-genetic flukes. The larvae are introduced into the aquarium or pond by fish-eating birds who ingest fish infected with the parasite. Once ingested, the parasites mature in the intestines of the bird, where they produce eggs. The eggs are then deposited into the water with their droppings, where they infect the livers of aquatic snails. The snail allows the parasites to develop into a second and third larval form before migrating to a fish host. Due to this parasite�s complex life cycle, it is most common in pond-kept fish.

Treatment:

First remove all snails from the aquarium or pond so as to end the cycle of infection. Treatment is rarely necessary. Minor infestations tend to clear without treatment as the larvae will eventually die and be absorbed by the host's immune system. In severe cases, however, treating the water with Copper Sulfate may prove helpful.

Edited by Mike, 12 December 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

Copper will kill the free-swimming fluke larvae en route from snail to fish, but I dont think it'll affect those already encysted in the fish.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users