33 Gallon Native Tank

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*

Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hello there, I'm new to NANFA. I was just wondering what you guys thought about 33 gallons comapared to 29 gallons. I may be able to get the 29 gal. cheaper, but if the 33 gal. is worth the extra money, then I'll go with that.

Fauna: 6-8 Tadpole Madtoms, 15-20 Blackstriped Topminnow, several asst. Darters, and maybe some Mudminnows.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hello and welcome!

A 33 gallon tank has a larger footprint, which is better for bottom-dwellers like your darters and madtoms. It's also a better setup for a stream tank, if you want to try to set it up that way. On the other hand, a 29 gallon tank's height gives you more possibilities for a structured, planted tank that would be great for mudminnows.

Just a word to the wise on your stocklist: that's way too many topminnows (they become very aggressive with conspecifics when mature). Also, mudminnows and darters (depending on species) may be incompatible. Mudminnows will eat smaller darters, and their preferred weedy slackwater habitat is different from that of most darters. The madtoms and topminnows will work in either setup.

So, the gist is: pick which type of setup you want. A tall, planted mudminnow tank, or a long, stream-like darter tank.

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hey there recruitee, I'd have to agree with Newt, after doing some more research I realized that the mudminnows wouldn't work. I'd say go for the stream tank, but it's up to you. I can draw up a couple design ideas today and if you want to come over tomorrow I could show them to you!

#4 Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*

Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hello and welcome!

A 33 gallon tank has a larger footprint, which is better for bottom-dwellers like your darters and madtoms. It's also a better setup for a stream tank, if you want to try to set it up that way. On the other hand, a 29 gallon tank's height gives you more possibilities for a structured, planted tank that would be great for mudminnows.

Just a word to the wise on your stocklist: that's way too many topminnows (they become very aggressive with conspecifics when mature). Also, mudminnows and darters (depending on species) may be incompatible. Mudminnows will eat smaller darters, and their preferred weedy slackwater habitat is different from that of most darters. The madtoms and topminnows will work in either setup.

So, the gist is: pick which type of setup you want. A tall, planted mudminnow tank, or a long, stream-like darter tank.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to go with the darters if anything though with the 33 gallon.

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to go with the darters if anything though with the 33 gallon.

Well, I have a stocking idea:

Fauna: 10ish? asst. Darters, 6-8 Tadpole Madtoms, 10ish? Blackstripe Topminnows

I don't know about the numbers for the Darters and the Topminnows, what do you think Newt?

#6 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

You'll enjoy the 33 better. I used to have one when I first starting keeping fish. Kinda miss that tank. It's good to have the room to see the fish actually swimming & not just doing laps.

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

You'll enjoy the 33 better. I used to have one when I first starting keeping fish. Kinda miss that tank. It's good to have the room to see the fish actually swimming & not just doing laps.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Just hope you can find one at Petco!

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

Personally, I wouldn't have either tank. They're too small. What I do is I browse craigslist.org regularly and pick up big used tanks off there. I bought my 55 gallon tank for $25 that way. And I've seen 100 gallon tanks for $125 twice now (my room's too small to fit a hundred gallon tank, or I would have jumped on that). And I'm also a fan of the Do-It-Yourself plywood tanks. You can make them as big as you want, custom-like.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

Well, I have a stocking idea:

Fauna: 10ish? asst. Darters, 6-8 Tadpole Madtoms, 10ish? Blackstripe Topminnows

I don't know about the numbers for the Darters and the Topminnows, what do you think Newt?

I would say that your topminnow number is still a little high... consider subbing out handful of those for some shiners of whatever variety you like up there... down here in GA, I would go with the local yellowfins, but any midwater guy might do the trick... and I dont think you are going to get the enjoyment out of that many madtoms that you might think... they are really secretive and although I like em, they are just adding miomass to a tank that you have slightly overstocked...

I would suggest something more along the lines of
4 topminnows
6 shiners
8-10 darters
2 madtoms

this is still a little high for my taste... but then again, I dont like cleaning tanks or filters much... but if you keep up with cleaning, it should work... and I think you will really like having the shiners mixed in there!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

I would say that your topminnow number is still a little high... consider subbing out handful of those for some shiners of whatever variety you like up there... down here in GA, I would go with the local yellowfins, but any midwater guy might do the trick... and I dont think you are going to get the enjoyment out of that many madtoms that you might think... they are really secretive and although I like em, they are just adding miomass to a tank that you have slightly overstocked...

I would suggest something more along the lines of
4 topminnows
6 shiners
8-10 darters
2 madtoms

this is still a little high for my taste... but then again, I dont like cleaning tanks or filters much... but if you keep up with cleaning, it should work... and I think you will really like having the shiners mixed in there!

Well, the plan is also to get some 40-50 gallon filtration and a powerhead for it. There will also be some plants, too.

#11 Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*

Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

So what I'm going to do, is have

Fauna:3 Topminnows, 4-6 Shiners, 8-10 Darters, and I'm still questioning about having some Madtoms.

#12 Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*

Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Okay, so I found out some other ideas I could do.

1. I could spend roughly $120-$160 on a 33 gallon long, and all of the supplies.
2. I could get a 40 gallon breeder and all of the supplies for about $80-$100.

And my original plan was to go with the 33 gallon long because of the fish I am going to have in it, so it gives them more surface area. But now that I have found out about the 40 gallon breeder, I'm not sure which one I want to do.

#13 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Either will be fine. The 40 breeder is a versatile tank, so if you decide to change up your stock in the future it might be more useful. A possible drawback is that it is easier for fish to hide at the back out of sight, due to its greater width.

Your stocklist is looking better. I would point out that a lot of different minnows are covered by the name "shiner", with a wide range of sizes. Small shiners like Notropis, Hybopsis, and smaller Lythrurus and Cyprinella species would be fine in your tank, while big bruisers like Luxilus and Notemigonus would need more room. While we're talking minnows, also consider the dace (genera Chrosomus (AKA Phoxinus), Clinostomus, and Rhinichthys). These are small-to-medium-sized minnows that prefer the same conditions as darters and are usually peaceful. They also often sport bright reds and yellows when in the mood.

#14 Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*

Guest_ni8ghtmare16_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Either will be fine. The 40 breeder is a versatile tank, so if you decide to change up your stock in the future it might be more useful. A possible drawback is that it is easier for fish to hide at the back out of sight, due to its greater width.

Your stocklist is looking better. I would point out that a lot of different minnows are covered by the name "shiner", with a wide range of sizes. Small shiners like Notropis, Hybopsis, and smaller Lythrurus and Cyprinella species would be fine in your tank, while big bruisers like Luxilus and Notemigonus would need more room. While we're talking minnows, also consider the dace (genera Chrosomus (AKA Phoxinus), Clinostomus, and Rhinichthys). These are small-to-medium-sized minnows that prefer the same conditions as darters and are usually peaceful. They also often sport bright reds and yellows when in the mood.

Thanks for the idea! I'll probably go with the Dace now that you mention them. The Shiners have such a varity of choices I wouldnt know which one to get. But I will figure it out when the time comes. So I'm most likely going to go with the 40 breeder, since it is bigger and more useful.

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

I like the size of the 40 breeder over the 33 long. However, I do agree with Erica. I would look for a larger tank from Craigslist. I got a 75gallon wiht stand/canopy for $75. I just bought a 125 w/ stand for 200 and in process of building it up. You'll rarely see a 40 on craigslist. However you can find 55's really cheap as they are the most common size. A 55 would work fine for a stream tank.

Also, I would encourage you to get a few madtoms. Just this year I added a few to my 75gal. They come out mostly at night, but some of mine do come out to feed. I like them and they are neat to watch.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users