Greetings from Northern Alabama

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:02 AM

I signed onto the forums quite awhile back, but just started posting recently. I've been keeping tropical fish for some time now, and with my many trips via kayak into many of the local swamps and creeks, I've become much more interested in Native species of fish and plants than tropical. I became hooked relaxing in a swamp to look into the water and see a lot of black crappe coming up to take a peek at me. I post regularly on Aquaria Central and occasionally on Monster Fish Keepers and Planted Aquariums. I am considering becoming a dues paid member of NANFA, nothing ruled out, just have a lot of other organizations I'm part of. Anyway, this site is proving to be a great resource....

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

Welcome to the Forum. I'm in Huntsville, working out of UAH. We do regular research trips to sites on the upper Paint Rock, and the Flint. There is certainly no shortage of local species or habitats...

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Welcome Cave-dude, please do consider joining NANFA, your of course, welcome here either way, but we would appreciate another active member down here in the South. Sounds like you have the chance to get out fairly often. Pay attention here in the board, we often announce outings / trips / get togethers here and you are more than welcome to join us... we play around in N.GA some and up towards Chattanooga... snorkel the Conasuaga, etc. You should join us sometime... seem 'em underwater... they really do come up to you to try to figure out what you are doing then!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

Caveman welcome to the forum.....I have also kept tropical fish in the past (Cichlids) and ran across this site while posting on MFk (I believe it was Sandtiger who introduced me to it). Nanfa has been a valuable resource for me in my quest to learn more about natives (there is so little general info. on aquarium or petfish sites), I hope you get as much out of it as I have.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

I am considering becoming a dues paid member of NANFA

After you join NANFA you will want to consider joining the Catfish Alliance (an unofficial chapter of NANFA). It's free.

#6 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

OK I bit the bullet and joined NANFA LOL, Between the NSS (National Speleological Society) NANFA, a Kayaking club, and work, I think I've allocated every free moment of my life LOL

#7 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Welcome to the Forum. I'm in Huntsville, working out of UAH. We do regular research trips to sites on the upper Paint Rock, and the Flint. There is certainly no shortage of local species or habitats...

I spend a lot of time paddling the Blackwell swamp area and and many other parts of Wheeler Wildlife refuge, I haven't made it to the Paint rock area yet, but would be more than happy to help out on a research trip. I feel the need to use my biology education from Purdue......

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users