What's your favorite native killifish?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

And why?

I'll go first. Mine is the mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus. Breeding males get intense colors--greenish yellowish spots on an olive background, with fins turning yellow as well. They're tough as nails, being able to withstand low oxygen levels and high heat. They eat almost anything. Being an estuarine species, they're at home in a hyper saline environment, or fresh water. They're are also a lot of populations around the country that are incredibly pollution tolerant.

#2 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

I've seen some awesome mummichog but my favorite is the Bluefin Killifish (Lucania goodei). We have a spot where we can get all three color morphs (blue fins, red fins and yellow fins) sometimes all in one dip. I sometimes think I may change to Lined Topminnows or Golden Topminnows from time to time until I catch more Bluefins.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Melanistic golden topminnow, Funuduls chrysotus

Posted Image

A very colorful topminnow found here in the southeast. These topminnows are easy to keep and breed. A very colorful top minnow, they look dramatic lurking amongst the plants and quickly adapt to aquarium life. The one above was bred in an outdoor stock tank in my backyeard in Georgia. The females are less colorful, but more peaceful. The males tend to get a little territorial and keeping more than one male can be difficult.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Melanistic golden topminnow, Funuduls chrysotus

Posted Image

A very colorful topminnow found here in the southeast. These topminnows are easy to keep and breed. A very colorful top minnow, they look dramatic lurking amongst the plants and quickly adapt to aquarium life. The one above was bred in an outdoor stock tank in my backyeard in Georgia. The females are less colorful, but more peaceful. The males tend to get a little territorial and keeping more than one male can be difficult.

I Would have to go with the ------ Northern Studfish, Fundulus catenatus. they would be my first choice. although they are an invasive in my area.
and i must say Michael that is a very nice fish, are the offspring also colored like him?

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

...Michael that is a very nice fish, are the offspring also colored like him?

Actually yes, he is the offspring of a previous male that I had... the trait seems to breed true, meaning, that if I breed melanistic males with melanistic females, I get basically all melanistic (to some level) young. I did have some problems last year though and have very few left... need to get out to obtain some additional females to increase my gene pool.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

I would have to say Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus,) only because I've had them breed for me. I think that if my Blackstripe Topminnows (Fundulus notatus) would breed, they'd be my favorite. I've found a population with a very distinct black stripe.

Brian

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

I only have experience with super agressive mummies (for 3 days back before i was informed enough on cycling), bluefins (who seem placid but are too new to judge), and bandeds.

I lean a bit towards bandeds as I got them to breed. That and they have a very cool breeding color in the males. They go black with white spots and white fin borders. Sometimes the white gets a barely noticable pale blue tinge to it. No photos online do this species justice.

I just wish it wasn't almost impossible to find proper tank mates for them as they have very weird agression levels.

#8 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

I would have to say Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus,) only because I've had them breed for me. I think that if my Blackstripe Topminnows (Fundulus notatus) would breed, they'd be my favorite. I've found a population with a very distinct black stripe.

Brian

Brian, My F.olivaceous breed regularly in a 300gal outdoor stock tank. Wouldn't think there would be much difference with notatus.

Edited by ipchay61, 20 December 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#9 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:19 AM

Flagfish will always be a favorite, simply because they were the first native fish I had ever kept. They had some in a local fish store, and I bought a male and female pair. I kept these two for 2.5 years until they past. I aquired some more from the same LFS and had some success this spring/summer breeding them in a small tub outside.

Total, I have kept bluefins, rainwater, seminole killifish, sheepshead minnows and golden topminnows. Of those I really enjoyed the rainwaters - very very active, not aggressive, small, and are easy to breed. All of the killies had their own perks. Bluefins were pretty, but aggressive. Seminoles live long, get big, but not very active or pretty. So I won't rank them, but of all that I have kept my favorites are flagfish, rainwaters and golden topminnows for various reasons.

#10 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

I like bluefins too. I'm trying to breed some at the moment. Not sure how successful I'll be. My strategy is to leave killies in a heavily planted tank, take them out after a couple of weeks or so, and then wait for fry to appear.

I was hoping to breed a redfin strain from a single red individual I brought back from Florida last trip. Unfortunately, he died without leaving any offspring.

I've seen some awesome mummichog but my favorite is the Bluefin Killifish (Lucania goodei). We have a spot where we can get all three color morphs (blue fins, red fins and yellow fins) sometimes all in one dip. I sometimes think I may change to Lined Topminnows or Golden Topminnows from time to time until I catch more Bluefins.

#11 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

That's a great fish Michael. Thank you for posting.

Actually yes, he is the offspring of a previous male that I had... the trait seems to breed true, meaning, that if I breed melanistic males with melanistic females, I get basically all melanistic (to some level) young. I did have some problems last year though and have very few left... need to get out to obtain some additional females to increase my gene pool.

#12 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Are you sure they're bandeds? I don't know how well you can tell from this photo, but male bandeds from around here get a faint blue cast in breeding season.

http://jonahsaquariu...diaphanus01.htm

I only have experience with super agressive mummies (for 3 days back before i was informed enough on cycling), bluefins (who seem placid but are too new to judge), and bandeds.

I lean a bit towards bandeds as I got them to breed. That and they have a very cool breeding color in the males. They go black with white spots and white fin borders. Sometimes the white gets a barely noticable pale blue tinge to it. No photos online do this species justice.

I just wish it wasn't almost impossible to find proper tank mates for them as they have very weird agression levels.

#13 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

As I have no experience but for one species, I have to give it to the banded killifish, Fundulus diaphanus. There used to be a population where I grew up along the Perkiomen river until the development I lived in did a reconstruction project and we had a massive fish kill. They were fined, I got a letter from the commission thanking me for reporting it. But I havent seen one in the wild since then. I think I was 11 when it happened. I liked catching them but they made poor bait. Black nosed dace were better.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 20 December 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#14 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

Even though I just used them as feeders for my Green Sunfish, I really grew to love the Blackspotted topminnow, Fundulus olivaceus.

#15 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

Love those golden top minnows! I would like to get some soon. Would 1 male and 1 female be ok?

BTW, thanks for starting this thread Bob. These "favorite fish" threads are always great for info!

Edited by bart, 21 December 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#16 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

Brian, My F.olivaceous breed regularly in a 300gal outdoor stock tank. Wouldn't think there would be much difference with notatus.

Chip,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, here in Wisconsin, it's illegal to keep natives in a tub pond outside. Interestingly enough, if you want to keep goldfish or koi in a tub pond, it's OK. Go figure!

Brian

#17 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

I like at least somethings about every killie species I've kept.

Banded are beautiful and are the only native forage fish in the kettle ponds I love so much.

Sheepshead are amazingly colored when they want to be and I love the tight formation the schools move in in the wild. A bit naughty for peaceful communities.

Mummies are also quite pretty at times and I respect their ability to adapt and thrive in habitat few other fish can. They're just a bit too numerous though. Many places I drag a net produces so many per scoop it becomes a chore to sort them.

My true favorite has got to be rainwaters. The small size makes them ideal for aquariums. The yellow males, while pale compared to some of the show offs, is still quite pretty. The temperment is peaceful enough but they are scrappy enough when they need to. Their best trait is the ability to not just survive but thrive and breed in anything wet. Hot, cold, fresh, salt, clean or dirty, they don't care. The eggs and fry are almost indestructable. I've often had fry live and grow inside canister filters and have accidently introduced them into various tanks by moving plants around. Probably the easiest egg layer I've bred, including tropicals.

Edited by mikez, 21 December 2010 - 07:14 AM.

#18 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

I would have to say Fundulus chrysotus. I had a few from the South Carolina convention, and I just thought were very beautiful, colorful fish.

Harry Knaub

Edited by harryknaub, 24 December 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#19 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Lots of good favorites here, but I'll have to add the Plains killies F. zebrinus and F. kansae to my list. Mark gave me one at our 2007 conference that he caught in TX, and wow that was a neat fish. It died suddenly about 6 mo later, and reading up on them I think they may need more hardness than my 2 dGH Raleigh tap water. Shoulda done my homework sooner, but I didn't see evidence of ill health. Would love to try them again some day.

BTW, I sure wish the Czar of Common Names could take a stand and fix the random/inconsistent name assignment of "killifish" and "topminnow."
Why must we have "banded killifish" and "banded topminnow" (both in genus Fundulus), "plains killifish" and "plains topminnow" (both in genus Fundulus), and "sheepshead minnow" (really a pupfish). Then of course there's "least killifish" in a whole 'nother family. If AFS can officially change the common names of Squawfoot mussel and Jewfish grouper for cultural sensitivity reasons, certainly they oughta be able to change names to roughly follow scientific taxonomy. Seems like we (NANFA) could suggest some improvements for AFS's next update of Common and Scientific Names of Fishes.

#20 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Guys, for me this topic is so hard! I have been crazy about Killifish since I started with this hobby 30 years ago or so, and the magic behind the seasonal ones always intrigued me. Unfortunately I cannot bring all of them home from different places, but for me to have the chance to capture Bluefin Killifish on my backyard and keep a few of them in a dedicated tank is awesome.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users