For the Love of Lepomis! (cyanellus)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hello everyone!

For a good period of time, I have been a little obsessed with keeping fishes, plants, and invertebrates in aquariums. This interest began when I was eight years old - right when I first netted a passel of sparkly little bluegill sunfish with a butterfly net in a pond near my home. After bragging quite a bit to my mother about my wonderful haul (which I brought home with me, dried up and stinky in the tiny butterfly net) my dad mentioned that it would be funny if one could keep a bluegill as a pet. Since I wasn't allowed to have any other pets beforehand (my dad is allergic to furry animals and my mom despises non-furry ones) I naturally jumped at this statement. I loved all critters that I could find, and the suggestion that I could possibly keep one was fantastic!

However, it took roughly a year to fully convince my mom to let me get something. During this time, I became even more enthralled and learned on the internet about the fish keeping hobby. I learned about the nitrogen cycle, plants, invertebrates, and most importantly, the fish themselves and how to keep them healthy and happy. Soon enough, I had my parents persuaded into getting me an aquarium for my 9th birthday (it took some time to explain why an aquarium was better than a fish bowl, and I still don’t think they get it to this day)! Unfortunately, my plans for getting a 20-gallon aquarium to start with were crushed; my dad was unwilling to get it for reasons I have yet to understand. So, I started out with a 10-gallon fish tank alongside some anacharis, gravel, fish food, gravel vacuum, and a lot of hope.

I cycled the tank carefully, watching the anacharis burst in growth and luckily not a terrible amount of algae sprout. It was about the end of the school year as the tank came full circle, and I was fortunate enough to get a two-inch stunted little green sunfish that had learned to eat cheap flake from my Life Science teacher (she is still my most favorite teacher to this day). The lively little guy was my friend for six and a half years since. I believe he was a male, since it had a rich coloration on the fins and body. He was really personable, and would let me feed him by hand and pet him, and I miss him. Four weeks ago, he died of unknown causes. I went to feed him in the morning, and he didn’t rush to the front and wiggle all around as usual. I searched and finally found him dead in his little log cave. Sad over his loss, I decided to keep the ammonia cycle moving with five rosy red minnows from Petsmart (I am pleasantly surprised that they have stayed healthy with no problems whatsoever), plus some Cabomba because I thought it looked nice (and knew it was native). From here, I would like to give my rosies to my Biology teacher and re-set up the tank with dirt underneath and a rich growth of wild-captured native flora on top alongside some wild-caught fish, probably a single Orangespotted Sunfish (something I’ve been admiring lately) or several darters. Despite some huge dreams, I am unable to get any more fish tanks-even with my own money-because of my parent’s restrictions.

[/end uninteresting rant about my fishy history] I apologize, there aren’t any fish people around my area so I had to vent for a while. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I have been following this forum for about three years now after finding it from researching my little greenie. I love all the information and colorful pictures of our beautiful native species! I was under the impression this whole entire time that you had to pay to join the forum itself, not just to be an official NANFA member, which is why it took so long for me to join. :oops: I’m really happy to have finally joined and hopefully be part of the community!

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Tell your parents to pound sand!

#3 Guest_pjenkins_*

Guest_pjenkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

Hello everyone!

For a good period of time, I have been a little obsessed with keeping fishes, plants, and invertebrates in aquariums. This interest began when I was eight years old - right when I first netted a passel of sparkly little bluegill sunfish with a butterfly net in a pond near my home. After bragging quite a bit to my mother about my wonderful haul (which I brought home with me, dried up and stinky in the tiny butterfly net) my dad mentioned that it would be funny if one could keep a bluegill as a pet. Since I wasn't allowed to have any other pets beforehand (my dad is allergic to furry animals and my mom despises non-furry ones) I naturally jumped at this statement. I loved all critters that I could find, and the suggestion that I could possibly keep one was fantastic!

However, it took roughly a year to fully convince my mom to let me get something. During this time, I became even more enthralled and learned on the internet about the fish keeping hobby. I learned about the nitrogen cycle, plants, invertebrates, and most importantly, the fish themselves and how to keep them healthy and happy. Soon enough, I had my parents persuaded into getting me an aquarium for my 9th birthday (it took some time to explain why an aquarium was better than a fish bowl, and I still don’t think they get it to this day)! Unfortunately, my plans for getting a 20-gallon aquarium to start with were crushed; my dad was unwilling to get it for reasons I have yet to understand. So, I started out with a 10-gallon fish tank alongside some anacharis, gravel, fish food, gravel vacuum, and a lot of hope.

I cycled the tank carefully, watching the anacharis burst in growth and luckily not a terrible amount of algae sprout. It was about the end of the school year as the tank came full circle, and I was fortunate enough to get a two-inch stunted little green sunfish that had learned to eat cheap flake from my Life Science teacher (she is still my most favorite teacher to this day). The lively little guy was my friend for six and a half years since. I believe he was a male, since it had a rich coloration on the fins and body. He was really personable, and would let me feed him by hand and pet him, and I miss him. Four weeks ago, he died of unknown causes. I went to feed him in the morning, and he didn’t rush to the front and wiggle all around as usual. I searched and finally found him dead in his little log cave. Sad over his loss, I decided to keep the ammonia cycle moving with five rosy red minnows from Petsmart (I am pleasantly surprised that they have stayed healthy with no problems whatsoever), plus some Cabomba because I thought it looked nice (and knew it was native). From here, I would like to give my rosies to my Biology teacher and re-set up the tank with dirt underneath and a rich growth of wild-captured native flora on top alongside some wild-caught fish, probably a single Orangespotted Sunfish (something I’ve been admiring lately) or several darters. Despite some huge dreams, I am unable to get any more fish tanks-even with my own money-because of my parent’s restrictions.

[/end uninteresting rant about my fishy history] I apologize, there aren’t any fish people around my area so I had to vent for a while. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I have been following this forum for about three years now after finding it from researching my little greenie. I love all the information and colorful pictures of our beautiful native species! I was under the impression this whole entire time that you had to pay to join the forum itself, not just to be an official NANFA member, which is why it took so long for me to join. :oops: I’m really happy to have finally joined and hopefully be part of the community!

Well let welcom you to Nanfa. I started close to the same way as you. I started with a gray fish the minnows and so on. I have a son and he is 13. He found a tank in a free add in the local paper and asked me if i would take him to get it. I did and we have been have fun every since. I dont know how old you are but there are ways to get parents to help with your love of fish. You could work for some of themoney and talk to your parent to chip in. Joshua rake leave, cuts grass,collects srap metal and alum. cans. It adds up and if hes a little short then he asks me for help. Most parents will help if you help yourself first. well these are just suggestions. i wish you continued success on you next project. Im sorry for your loss of your greenie. we had one named BART we just lost him after 7 yrs. take care and good luck.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

I feel your pain. It's so hard to have life restrictions on your fish keeping. I'm a college student, and they squeeze me inside this little tiny box they call a dorm room, and I am forced to move into a different dorm room each year. Moving is very difficult when you have fish. The tank is heavy and the stress you get from wondering if your fish are going to be okay and where you're going to put them is not fun.

But there is good news. Life won't stay like this. One day, you'll get to live on your own, in your own place, and you can have as many fish tanks as you want. *sighs wistfully* Thankfully, things don't stay this way forever.

Edit: The next time a fish dies of unknown causes, don't immediately restock the tank. That puts the new fish at risk.
You can keep the nitrogen cycle going indefinitely by adding flake food daily as you would feed a fish. And you can remove the filter media from the tank temporarily to clean everything down, as long as you keep the media wet. That's how I move my tanks, and I've never uncycled it that way.

Edited by EricaWieser, 21 December 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#5 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Edit: The next time a fish dies of unknown causes, don't immediately restock the tank. That puts the new fish at risk.
You can keep the nitrogen cycle going indefinitely by adding flake food daily as you would feed a fish. And you can remove the filter media from the tank temporarily to clean everything down, as long as you keep the media wet. That's how I move my tanks, and I've never uncycled it that way.

Yes, this was a rather stupid move on my part. When I typed "died of unknown causes," I think I really was wanting to type "died because of old age." I remember reading some information on some DNR sites that one species of sunfish had a lifespan of around seven years. Still, the species being discussed wasn't a Green Sunfish, and I didn't really consider the fact that even dying of old age is more like dying of a common illness BECAUSE of old age. Luck has been with me so far, as the Rosy Red Minnows are seemingly healthy. Nevertheless, I'll make sure to not make the same blunder in the future. ](*,)

I'm a college student, and they squeeze me inside this little tiny box they call a dorm room, and I am forced to move into a different dorm room each year.

Haha, at least you are closer to free! Completely agreed. :biggrin:

pjenkins' post

I do wish my parents had the same affinity that I do for fish, or even animals in general. Everyone has different interests, I guess. By the way, I have raised a good sum of money over the years through both birthday/holiday cash and working for exactly that reason, but they won't let me spend it on that. So, it's not the cost they are concerned with, it's the aquariums themselves. They just don't like having them in the house. :sad2:

Irate Mormon's post

:lol:

Wow, thank you guys for replying, and so fast! It's nice to be welcomed. :laugh:

#6 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

But there is good news. Life won't stay like this. One day, you'll get to live on your own, in your own place, and you can have as many fish tanks as you want. *sighs wistfully* Thankfully, things don't stay this way forever.

The silver linning, but the spouce might complain. I currently have 16 tanks set up, and 4 more waiting to set up, and another 3 that were given to me but leak so they have to wait to be fixed too. When ever I even look at another tank even if its free I get a cold stare. Well she is not that bad I just have to keep all the tanks in the basement.

When you are able to get more tanks look on cregs list, you can get them cheep or often times free.

Edited by Mike, 22 December 2010 - 10:27 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users