just saying hello

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_reefkprZ_*

Guest_reefkprZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Hi, I am a new member to this forum, found it through another forum. I realize this if more about native fishes, but I am a planted tank geek (and reef geek as you can tell by my user name).

I have been putzing around Maine snorkeling and searching for cool plants to put in my aquarium to grow. I have a heavily planted 125g with injected CO2 4x54w NO-flourescent lighting on an icecap 660-009 ballast. dont know how much you guys go in for plants but I have done biotope tanks in the past. maybe again in the future. but I like lurking and reading. so hello!

#2 Guest_stuber2_*

Guest_stuber2_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum!

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

There's quite a few plant people here. Which New England native aquatic plants do you find do well for you in aquariums?

#4 Guest_reefkprZ_*

Guest_reefkprZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

There's quite a few plant people here. Which New England native aquatic plants do you find do well for you in aquariums?

most of the plants I have collected I havent positively Id'ed yet there are a couple submersed growth grasses on tall one that gets about 24-30 inches long and a short one that grows in a staggered pattern. I managed to find some milfoil...... my biggest success is probably the Yellow Pond Lilly I collected last year I got it right at the end of the season when everything was losing foliage (wading around in 40 degree mud/water to get it was fun) it took right off I am still waiting for it to flower though. I may need to increase either my photoperiod or PAR to get it to flower in my tank.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum. You're right, any kind of pond lily will take something approaching full sunlight to make it happy.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to the forum! Not to worry; plant people are pretty well tolerated here!! :tongue:

#7 Guest_reefkprZ_*

Guest_reefkprZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

Welcome to the Forum. You're right, any kind of pond lily will take something approaching full sunlight to make it happy.

fortunately with my injected Co2 I can very well crank up my lighting to approach the intensity of sunlight with minimal risk of algae. I may actually add just a spot light to focus light on that one plant instead of the entire tank. I also have a bad habit of letting my Red root floater and a few other top cover plants kind of dominate the surface which really reduces the amount of light to make it to the bottom. I'll try being more dilligent about keeping the area above the lilly clear of obstruction.

#8 Guest_reefkprZ_*

Guest_reefkprZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:58 AM

Welcome to the forum! Not to worry; plant people are pretty well tolerated here!! :tongue:

Well that's great to hear, I actually found this site on a planted tank forum.... LOL

I'll try and get some photos up at some point.

#9 Guest_reefkprZ_*

Guest_reefkprZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

here are a couple photo's of some tanks I have had or have there is a mix here I'll try and keep the labels straight

my FW 125 a while ago
Posted Image

my old 75g reef
Posted Image

20g reef
Posted Image

unfortunately I lost most of my photo's in a computer crash not to long ago so I dont have 99.9% of my photo's anymore

#10 Guest_Ournativeson_*

Guest_Ournativeson_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Those are some nice tanks. :smile2: What part of Maine are you from?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users