where do they go?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pjenkins_*

Guest_pjenkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hello guy, I have and interesting story. My son was talking to his freind Alex and was explaining the fishes that are found in creek,ponds and such... He told his freind about a trip we took a few years ago with Fritz. He told his freind about all the fish we saw and about the darter, chubs and shiners. As I was lisenijg in the youg man said "where do all the fish go in winter?" My son paused and said i dont now for sure, I guess they go to deeper water like fish in a pond does. So he came asked me I said i would think so? So ladies and gentleman....Where do the fish go? Thank for your help.Joshua (13) and Paul.

Edited by pjenkins, 28 December 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Here is a thread from a couple of years ago that was pretty good regarding the topic : http://forum.nanfa.o...-in-the-winter/

#3 Guest_pjenkins_*

Guest_pjenkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Here is a thread from a couple of years ago that was pretty good regarding the topic : http://forum.nanfa.o...-in-the-winter/

Thanks we will check it out....

#4 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Great link, thanks.

Someone with a private pond should set-up a winter streaming web-cam.

#5 Guest_pjenkins_*

Guest_pjenkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Great link, thanks.

Someone with a private pond should set-up a winter streaming web-cam.

now thats an idea....

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

My icefishing buddy has an Aquaview which is a portable underwater video camera. It's meant for fishermen to find fish so the screen is tiny and the res poor but it does have video hookup which can record [he never does].
What amazes me is the activity that goes on under the ice. Virtually every species big enough to be viewed on screen is fully active and no sign of torpur is ever seen. Largemouth bass chase bait like it was summer. Bullhead come sniffing around, crayfish and all manner of inverts are lively. Although conventional wisdom says fish don't feed much, we see all manner of feeding activity at every level of the food chain. also it is very common to catch game fish with full stomachs of recently swallowed [and often still alive] prey.
The exception is very shallow water where fish can't find the 39 F water that settles to the bottom [being most dense at that temp] in stratified water bodies and in late winter when thick ice and snow cover curtail photosythesis and thus reduces DO. The extreme example of that condition is well known as winter kill, but icefishermen know the fish can really stop being active before actual fish kills take place.
Reasonably deep ponds without deep snow cover are active all winter.

Edited by mikez, 31 December 2010 - 04:11 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users