A few beginner Q's

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jakemyster44_*

Guest_jakemyster44_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

I am new to keeping natives and have a few questions. I will be setting up my 75g aquarium in a month or so, so that it has time to cycle by the spring, as well as allowing the plants to become decently established. I plan to get all my fish from a nearby hatchery. I have a few ideas as far as species, but I wanted to run them by you guys just to be sure that they are compatible. I would like to keep several species in the tank, at least while they are younger. I am very aware of the adult sizes of these species, and have arrangements for the fish once they outgrow the 75g.I am considering keeping some of the following species that are available at the hatchery: Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, and Channel Catfish. If possible, I'd really like to have one channel cat, two largemouth, and a crappie. Would these three species be compatible together? I am able to get them quite small (2-3 inches), and could get them around the same size, or even different sizes (maybe get the bass and catfish smaller than the crappie?). I also have a question on lighting. I plan to grow a few Vallisneria Americana as well as some Anacharis in the tank. I have a 48" single bulb over the tank, and the light it gives off IMO, is unnatural looking, having an almost bluish/purple hue. I have seen some tanks on the forum that have more natural looking lighting, more yellow and orange than blue or purple. Any advise on what type of lighting to get? Also, should I get a double bulb fixture, or will one bulb work out? I'd appreciate any advise/criticism you have to offer. Better to realize a mistake now than after I get the fish... Thanks!
-Jake

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

I have a 48" single bulb over the tank, and the light it gives off IMO, is unnatural looking, having an almost bluish/purple hue. I have seen some tanks on the forum that have more natural looking lighting, more yellow and orange than blue or purple. Any advise on what type of lighting to get? Also, should I get a double bulb fixture, or will one bulb work out?

I use this light in my tank: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053
I have a four foot long tank, and that light is four feet long, so it fits perfectly. There are two bulbs in it, both 700 lumens and 6500 K. Here, read this article about K: http://en.wikipedia....lor_temperature

Basically, you want your bulb(s) to be as close to the sun's color temperature K value as possible. I've found that my plants grow significantly faster under my new 6500 K bulbs than they did under my previous lights, which had lower color temperature.

Photo of my tank with my old lights, which were purchased at a pet store as aquarium lights: http://img.photobuck...imiru/014-1.jpg
Photo of tank immediately after, with new light fixture with higher K value: http://img.photobuck...imiru/015-2.jpg
Lighting makes a huuuge difference.
P.S. And my tank's not that ugly anymore, I promise. Looks like this now: http://gallery.nanfa...resize.jpg.html well, kind of.

P.S.S.
And I think those fish are too big for that tank. I saw a black crappie recently that was a full foot in length. It's best to put fish into tanks that they can live their whole life in, full size and all. That way you avoid stunting them. If you need a larger tank, build one using three walls of thick plywood coated in waterproof sealant with a sheet of clear glass or acrylic on the front.

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 December 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

First, I would say that you will not enjoy a single bulb... for the color and because it might be hard to grow your plants. I agree with Erica that a regular shop light is plenty for a 75 gallon tank. I have a 75 and had this set up myself for a long time. I recently upgraded to a compact fluoescent, mostly because of the electronic ballast but also just to get a little bit brighter light.

Another alternative, would be marinelands LED light system. I have put the 6/9 bulb verison of this on a 30 gallon tank and really like it so far. This is probably the expensive way to go (at least right now LED is still pretty expensive on the initial investment) but I really like the idea that they are not going to degrade much over time. I know that marineland makes this in a couple of larger sizes, not sure about this large, but it is at least a consideration.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_jakemyster44_*

Guest_jakemyster44_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

And I think those fish are too big for that tank. I saw a black crappie recently that was a full foot in length. It's best to put fish into tanks that they can live their whole life in, full size and all. That way you avoid stunting them. If you need a larger tank, build one using three walls of thick plywood coated in waterproof sealant with a sheet of clear glass or acrylic on the front.

After taking this into consideration, I have decided to avoid using these species, and to set up the 75g as a "Maumee River" tank, housing only smaller species.

First, I would say that you will not enjoy a single bulb... for the color and because it might be hard to grow your plants. I agree with Erica that a regular shop light is plenty for a 75 gallon tank.

I'll look into getting a shop light with double bulbs. Is there a way to disguise the shop light so it isn't so out of place? The tank will be in my bedroom, and I'd like it to look nice... Perhaps there is a way to cover the shop light with the plastic housing of my original "aquarium light"? I would be able to remove the single bulb unit easily, so I guess it would just be a matter of if the new shop light could fit inside the plastic housing. Thanks for the advice guys,
-Jake

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

I'll look into getting a shop light with double bulbs. Is there a way to disguise the shop light so it isn't so out of place? The tank will be in my bedroom, and I'd like it to look nice... Perhaps there is a way to cover the shop light with the plastic housing of my original "aquarium light"? I would be able to remove the single bulb unit easily, so I guess it would just be a matter of if the new shop light could fit inside the plastic housing. Thanks for the advice guys,
-Jake

Oh, the shop light fits right in behind your existing lights. You can't even see it. I would have to remove one of my two standard aquarium style lights to expose the silver strip of the shop light. Here, I'll take some photos and upload them.

Photos of how shop light looks:

http://img.photobuck...imiru/031-4.jpg <-- The pet store light rests upon the lip of the shop light.
http://img.photobuck...imiru/032-2.jpg <-- Shop light rests on tank edge
http://img.photobuck...imiru/037-1.jpg <-- ditto
http://img.photobuck...imiru/027-2.jpg <-- Shop light rests on middle brace of tank
http://img.photobuck...imiru/034-2.jpg <-- I dunno what to say for this photo caption.
http://img.photobuck...imiru/035-3.jpg <-- See, the pet store light covers the shop light and you can't see it.

I hope those photos are helpful ^_^

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 December 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Erica certainly has a good approach, here is my solution, which admittedly requires some wood working skills, but was a fun project. Just walked out the kitchen and took these quickly this morning, so forgive the water level for being a little low. And the flash made the tank look dim (which it is not) but anyway we are looking at the hood, not the fish (wow! can't hardly believe I said we weren't looking at the fish, I must need more coffee this morning).
PB080001.JPG
PB080003.JPG
The shoplight is partially disassemled so that you can screw it (or bolt it, your choice) directly to the top of the canopy, then reassembled in place.

I also knew a guy once that built a similar housing and hung it from the ceiling, kind of the way that reef keepers do with suspended high intensity lighting.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_jakemyster44_*

Guest_jakemyster44_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

The canopy looks great, doesn't seem to be a very difficult build either. I may try my hand at building one, as I have access to a huge selection of woodworking tools...

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

The canopy looks great, doesn't seem to be a very difficult build either. I may try my hand at building one, as I have access to a huge selection of woodworking tools...

It really wasn't that hard... hardest part was making the from panels look like recessed doors... just so that they sort of matched the style of the stand... and the fact that I was working with some re-claimed wood, so I had to cobble some things together that should really have been one solid piece. It doesn't have to be over-engineering, really you are just building a box with a flange on the inside to rest on the tank rim... and you are only holding the weight of the shop light so that is not much either... then you just have to get the hinge right.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Since I know you're in P-burg... For lighting on my 75 gal tanks, I use lighting that can be bought at The Andersons. They have a closed end shop lights (such that the contacts are above the plastic resting on the tank top) for $18 and I use the GE Daylight lamps that I think are $6 a piece. If the tank is in the living room, then I spend the money on an Aqueon strip to put in front of it (like Erica did). The one I have setup at school, bleh, I just put the two shop lights on it and called it a day. I've run these tanks on 3 and 4 lamps. I'm pulling off 5 lamps at home on my exotic tank, but I would advise you keep it to 4 or less until you get more familiar, else you get ahead of yourself.

While juvenile black crappie are a real treat, esp in a tank with current (you'd be surprised how playful they are in flow), I'd ixnay on the redatorspay. You can have a much more fulfilling system with northern longear, pumpkinseed and orangespot sunfish, if Centrarchids are your thing. At 87 native species of fish, you'll have a lot to work with besides spotfish, which your species list will quickly preclude. But to each their own, I ain't knockin' it :)

If you haven't found your way to this yet, this might help show some of the variation in the area:

http://www.farmertodd.com/fishguide

Todd
ed: I guess I combined your two posts in my head. So the second part of this answers your other question better. Sorry about that :)

Edited by farmertodd, 01 January 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#10 Guest_Moonbat_*

Guest_Moonbat_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

I am new to keeping natives and have a few questions. I will be setting up my 75g aquarium in a month or so, so that it has time to cycle by the spring, as well as allowing the plants to become decently established. I plan to get all my fish from a nearby hatchery. I have a few ideas as far as species, but I wanted to run them by you guys just to be sure that they are compatible. I would like to keep several species in the tank, at least while they are younger. I am very aware of the adult sizes of these species, and have arrangements for the fish once they outgrow the 75g.I am considering keeping some of the following species that are available at the hatchery: Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, and Channel Catfish. If possible, I'd really like to have one channel cat, two largemouth, and a crappie. Would these three species be compatible together? I am able to get them quite small (2-3 inches), and could get them around the same size, or even different sizes (maybe get the bass and catfish smaller than the crappie?). I also have a question on lighting. I plan to grow a few Vallisneria Americana as well as some Anacharis in the tank. I have a 48" single bulb over the tank, and the light it gives off IMO, is unnatural looking, having an almost bluish/purple hue. I have seen some tanks on the forum that have more natural looking lighting, more yellow and orange than blue or purple. Any advise on what type of lighting to get? Also, should I get a double bulb fixture, or will one bulb work out? I'd appreciate any advise/criticism you have to offer. Better to realize a mistake now than after I get the fish... Thanks!
-Jake

If you choose a l.m. bass keep in mind the eventual growth factor and waste output. Mine grew to 12 inches before he passed away and I was doing constant water and waste maintenance. He grew from about 5 inches to 12 in a year and a half. I didn't read that you had plans to upgrade as project goes along. Remember though the l.m. bass properly fed grows really fast.

Edited by Moonbat, 12 April 2011 - 07:57 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users