New NANFA Member

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Just payed my NANFA membership dues for the first time. Messaged Uland for a group status change but it's a bit soon to expect any action :- . I was reading Drew's post "Who is NANFA?" where he said:

If you think NANFA should have a knowledge repository / wiki / encyclopedia, take the initiative and do it.

I just registered the domain http://www.nanatives.com/ (North American Natives) with the intent of creating a content site for native species information. Not strictly limited to fish. The difficulty I have is that, not being a biologist myself, a lot the best information doesn't come with care and other information enthusiast find useful and often so spread out it's hard to keep track of it. Research for this site should be a learning experience in itself. I would like to combine phylogeny, ecological, range, identification, care, conservation, and other information generally spread among different and hard to track resources. The emphasis will be on conservation and education, but with more emphasis on hobbyist, habitat creation, and care sheets. Certainly not as extensive as EOL but hopefully it will result in something more useful to a wider variety of people and interest.

Hopefully, once I get an outline of the content going, many here will allow some of your contributions to be added directly. I will certainly honor any credits and copyrights, and will have report links for any infringement complaints. I'm also open to suggestions about the kinds of things you would like to see. I think I'll have just a basic phylogeny in a database but simply point to the directory for the appropriate detailed information. With a standardized directory structure it will make it easier to access with automated tools, including the specific data you want.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Welcome! Sounds like an ambitious project. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

#3 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

Yes, fairly ambitious. I think I can concentrate on a few hundred of the more common native kept species and get somewhere in a few months. I'm also going to include a fair amount of microfauna, such as scuds, and other food species.

Right now I'm struggling with display issues of various browsers, trying to get the base style sheet for the site. Making it from scratch takes some work, but once the template is properly layed out it gets really easy. From there it's just a matter of going through a list and following a predefined structure. The same structure that avails itself to automation tools. The more difficult part from there is photos, credits, and general copyright issues. I really don't want to depend on off site resources too heavily, but it will be necessary to a large extent. So off site resources with a high degree of permanence is preferred.

I'll have more to say when there's something to show.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users