visiting southern Alabama

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IndyEsox_*

Guest_IndyEsox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I will be visiting southern Alabama (just NW of Montgomery, AL) frequently in 2011 starting next week. I would like to talk to fish people in the area and maybe see their fish rooms. Hopefully we can do some collecting. (I need to learn what the laws are, too!)

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

The laws in Alabama are relatively relaxed. You can collect "bait" with a seine if you have a fishing license, which is relatively inexpensive for out-of-state people. A seine can be as big as 20 feet long, and 4 feet deep. There's a relatively lengthy list of protected species, but by definition most of them have a limited range. And Montgomery, strictly speaking, isn't south Alabama, that begins to the south of the city; Montgomery and Birmingham are both really in central Alabama. But who's counting...

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Stott Noble, who used to be an active member lives in the Birmingham area and may be able to help you out. I don't have his contact info any longer but maybe some can chime in with it if they do. The great thing about sampling AL is that it has two of the best "Fishes of" books available. If you are going to be in the area regularly and don't have one or both, I would suggest investing in them.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Well Bruce may have some technical reason for his definition... and he is a resident of the state... but when I lived in Montgomery (years ago) we always talked about it as being L.A. (Lower Alabama).

But it is true that from a soil standpoint, everything on the north side of Montgomery (north of I-85, which actually runs east and west as it comes into Montgomery) is Red Clay... and everything below I-85 is black prairie mud. So there is certainly some geology stuff going on right in the area.

There is a stream on the east side of town near a park where I drug seine for the first time (with my young son and daughter) as a NANFAn after reading an article in FAMA and lurking the email list for a while.

You should be able to have a lot of fun down that way.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, it's at the fall line and south of town you're on the coastal plain, but you're still over 100 miles inland in the middle third of the state. Being "south Alabama" has more pizzaz, I think.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

We have Harry Thames and Trey Tabb in southern AL. HMT321 and mysteryman.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users