Chain or Grass Pickerel

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

This post was on AquaBid for "grass pike". They look like chain pickerel to me. Thoughts from the experts?

http://www.aquabid.c...ative1295987733
Posted Image

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Jhy-sus! That fish sold for $50 plus $45 shipping. I seriously doubt that it's "grass pike", chain pickerel looks more likely.

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

I sent the buyer a heads up but apparently he still bought it. The seller responded adamantly that it was a grass....No way based on that pic. I just hate seeing fish that get too big to keep being sold as a smaller species.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

No doubt about it those are chains.

#5 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

I concur with your chain pickerel ID. The suborbital bar is nearly vertical, whereas in a grass or redfin pickerel it would angle towards the rear of the fish.

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

Even though they are chain, they're some beutiful looking fish! Would you mind posting some pictures of the rest of the tank?

#7 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Jhy-sus! That fish sold for $50 plus $45 shipping. I seriously doubt that it's "grass pike", chain pickerel looks more likely.

Wow! I'll take you out and catch one 15 minutes from my house for half that price!

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

Wow! I'll take you out and catch one 15 minutes from my house for half that price!

Yeah, I'm sure half the people on the Forum had a similar reaction. It's also my reaction when I see hardy exotic killies like Aphyosemion australe on sale for $20/pair in local aquarium shops, because I know they're easy to crank out with any effort at all.

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

Even though they are chain, they're some beutiful looking fish! Would you mind posting some pictures of the rest of the tank?

that was the picture for aquabid - not my tank.

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

that was the picture for aquabid - not my tank.

Oh, okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users