Crappie getting bullied

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

My six-inch long Crappie is in a tank with my six-inch long Bass, and just today my bass started getting agressive towards by Crappie and biting at him. My only empty tank is a 10 gallon, so that wouldn't work for the Crappie. I may be able to get him to a friend after his tank cycles, but that may be too long. What do you think?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

My six-inch long Crappie is in a tank with my six-inch long Bass, and just today my bass started getting agressive towards by Crappie and biting at him. My only empty tank is a 10 gallon, so that wouldn't work for the Crappie. I may be able to get him to a friend after his tank cycles, but that may be too long. What do you think?

I think this was an idea doomed to failure from the beginning... crappie are notoriously skittish in tanks and a hungry bass is a pain in the bass to everyone else... and bass are always hungry...

You have two large fish, you need two large tanks... or a strong tank divider
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

I think this was an idea doomed to failure from the beginning... crappie are notoriously skittish in tanks and a hungry bass is a pain in the bass to everyone else... and bass are always hungry...

You have two large fish, you need two large tanks... or a strong tank divider

Oh okay, but my Crappie isn't skittish. I want to seperate them as soon as possible, but do you think he'll last for say, another 2 weeks or so?

#4 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

Oh okay, but my Crappie isn't skittish. I want to seperate them as soon as possible, but do you think he'll last for say, another 2 weeks or so?

I doubt it. Fish can die from stress pretty quickly.

#5 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

for the short term you may consider buying some of the egg crate type plastic fluorescent light covers and use it as a divider if your tank is big enough to divide in two

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

for the short term you may consider buying some of the egg crate type plastic fluorescent light covers and use it as a divider if your tank is big enough to divide in two

It's not. This set up was for short term over the winter.

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I got my hands on a display case that I'm going to reinforce externally and reseal inside.

Edited by Yeahson421, 05 February 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

It's not. This set up was for short term over the winter.

Just to get them separated quickly, you could try something as simple as a rubbermid tub... you can get them for $8 maybe a 30 gallon size... wont be pretty or permanent... but your crappie will calm down and sit still in a big tub and at least not get picked on...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Just to get them separated quickly, you could try something as simple as a rubbermid tub... you can get them for $8 maybe a 30 gallon size... wont be pretty or permanent... but your crappie will calm down and sit still in a big tub and at least not get picked on...

Good idea! I am going to still reseal that display case for a long term solution, but I already have a big rubbermaid, so that'll work out perfectly!

Edited by Yeahson421, 06 February 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

Would putting in a few minnows help get the Bass to focus on something else while I get another tank ready?

#11 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'd use the time you would've spent getting minnows and just get the holding tub ready sooner. More movement might also freak the crappie out. If you want him to live, I'd get him out of there first and foremost.

#12 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

So I set up a 24 gallon rubbermaid constainer (similiar to a 40 breder in shape, lots of surface area) with a sponge filter and some vals, but how long should I let it cycle?

#13 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

So I set up a 24 gallon rubbermaid constainer (similiar to a 40 breder in shape, lots of surface area) with a sponge filter and some vals, but how long should I let it cycle?

If you use filter media from an established filter it'll be cycled immediately.

You can also monitor the ammonia levels and if there is an ammonia spike greater than 0 ppm, that's how you know the tank is not cycled. If a week passes and the ammonia is still 0 ppm, you know that the transfer of filter media worked and the old bacteria are working in their new filter home.

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 February 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

If you use filter media from an established filter it'll be cycled immediately.

You can also monitor the ammonia levels and if there is an ammonia spike greater than 0 ppm, that's how you know the tank is not cycled. If a week passes and the ammonia is still 0 ppm, you know that the transfer of filter media worked and the old bacteria are working in their new filter home.

I don't really have any used media, except from my canister, but I don't know if I should open it up or not. I did add some water from an established tank though.

#15 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

I did add some water from an established tank though.

'Old' water doesn't do anything. The nitrogen converting bacteria crawl around and live on surfaces. They do not float in the water column.

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 February 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#16 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Some small number of the relevant species would be in the column, enough to be a starter culture, but certainly not an instant fix.

#17 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

'Old' water doesn't do anything. The nitrogen converting bacteria crawl around and live on surfaces. They do not float in the water column.

My plants were also from an established tank. Does that help?

#18 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

My plants were also from an established tank. Does that help?

Yep, but the best thing you could do would be to open up the old canister and get a little media out of it. Is the crappie doing OK?

#19 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

I like to keep an extra sponge filter or two running in case I need one. I use Azoo filters that have four separate sponges, that way I can grab one sponge out of four different tanks and have a fully cycled sponge filter ready to go. I replace the sponges I took with new ones which get colonized quickly.

#20 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

I like to keep an extra sponge filter or two running in case I need one. I use Azoo filters that have four separate sponges, that way I can grab one sponge out of four different tanks and have a fully cycled sponge filter ready to go. I replace the sponges I took with new ones which get colonized quickly.

Schambers is wise. *nods*
I myself have an aquaclear waterfall filter. The design allows for a little bit of extra space at the top. I happened to have a couple of dried harvested sea sponges on hand from a past fish experiment, so I stuck them in the filter box and added them to the media already there. It's handy to have an instant-cycle ready if you need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users