Invasive Native Minnow found in NH

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Nantucket is covered with Prickly Pear Cactus, which usually weirds out first-time tourists. But it makes sense, the Cape, Islands and SE Mass are just piles of glacial debris, sand and broken granites and quartzes.

#62 Guest_CaptainCritter_*

Guest_CaptainCritter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Nantucket is covered with Prickly Pear Cactus, which usually weirds out first-time tourists. But it makes sense, the Cape, Islands and SE Mass are just piles of glacial debris, sand and broken granites and quartzes.

Are you originally from Massachusetts ? You seem to know a lot about the area.

#63 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

I lived there for 20 years, long enough to learn the geography but not to pick up the accent.

#64 Guest_CaptainCritter_*

Guest_CaptainCritter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I lived there for 20 years, long enough to learn the geography but not to pick up the accent.

Oh, thats cool. By the looks of it you now live in a more fish diversified part of the country. Seeing how we are in the invasive forum I might as well tell people that the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife have found Eastern Spiny Softshells in the Connecticut River in the past year according to MASS WILDLIFE magazine. Apparently the turtles were found traveling through the fish ladders on the river. I am a responsible owner of this particular species ( captive bred male ) and it will really piss me off when the Beacon Hill D-Bags over-react and blanket ban all pet turtles.

#65 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

I hadn't heard of this, they've truly banned all pet turtles in Mass.?

#66 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

No, he said "when they do." Just a cynical prediction. Makes as much sense as the SC law that if you want to keep a native fish as a pet you have to hook it first. I always like stabbing my pets in the face the first time we meet :glare:

#67 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Yer right, the emphatic statement fooled me.

#68 Guest_CaptainCritter_*

Guest_CaptainCritter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yer right, the emphatic statement fooled me.

No, they havent banned any species yet, but remember this is Massachusetts we're talking about. Fireworks are illegal, no hunting on Sunday, no happy hour, basically no fun allowed.

#69 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

No hunting on Sunday? Wow, that's a new one to me.

#70 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

Massachusetts has a body of law, the "blue laws", that are little changed since the 1680s when the colony was essentially a Puritan theocracy. Church attendance was mandatory on Sunday and was an all-day affair, so hunting was out of the question on Sundays.

#71 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

I thought the blue laws in TX were ridiculous...

#72 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious.. are they're still out there in Lyme? Or did the population "fizzle out" ?

remember this is Massachusetts we're talking about. Fireworks are illegal, no hunting on Sunday, no happy hour, basically no fun allowed.

Haha one of the reasons I left..... now I'm living free or dying Posted Image

#73 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious.. are they're still out there in Lyme? Or did the population "fizzle out" ?

Haha one of the reasons I left..... now I'm living free or dying Posted Image

Currently? no sure. But this article says a few years back their numbers were estimated to be in the hundreds. But oddly Fish and Game states they DON'T want you taking any. HUNDREDS of INVADERS and I cannot take a couple for my tank? Shouldn't removing of invaders be encouraged? http://www.wildlife....ace_011811.html

#74 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm sure they want everyone to take round goby, snakeheads, zeebs, and Asian carps home and spreading them around.....I meant isn't their main point is to slow their spreading down?

#75 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Yes, exactly. It would be nice if people caught them and ate them on the spot, but that's highly unlikely.

#76 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I'm curious if they're still there too. Sometimes those invasives do fizzle out.

About 30 years ago green sunfish showed up in a river I fished. Nobody could ID them. Most people called them "longeared sunfish" 'cause the ear flaps are bigger than what whe're used to. They were there a few years and we caught all sizes so they were breeding. Then they fizzled out. I haven't seen one or heard of one in years. No idea what got rid of them.

#77 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Currently? no sure. But this article says a few years back their numbers were estimated to be in the hundreds. But oddly Fish and Game states they DON'T want you taking any. HUNDREDS of INVADERS and I cannot take a couple for my tank? Shouldn't removing of invaders be encouraged? http://www.wildlife....ace_011811.html

Right?
I'm going to make a few phone calls to NH F&G
Give me a week or so..... Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users