Georgia Newbie

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_stevenjohn21_*

Guest_stevenjohn21_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Just thought i would say hello.
I have a 90 gallon tank housing native species which i need help identifying them. I originally had only 2 turtles in a 40 gallon breeder however after my nephew came home with some "catches of the day" i decided i would turn my tank into a native tank. The turtles dont bother them as the most of the fish are larger than the turtles and way too quick.

If anybody could help me identifying the fish below that would be great ! And how do i know what gender they are ?

1x Yellow Bellied Slider Turtle
1x Common Musk Turtle
2x Green Sunfish (i think)
2x Warmouths (i think)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Green Sunfish ? (about 4")
Posted Image

Warmouth ? (about 3")
Posted Image

Warmouth ? (about 3")
Posted Image

Juvenile Green Sunfish ? (about 2")
Posted Image

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm no turtle expert, but I was under the impression that they rot if they don't have a spot to rest with their body completely out of the water?

#3 Guest_stevenjohn21_*

Guest_stevenjohn21_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

I'm no turtle expert, but I was under the impression that they rot if they don't have a spot to rest with their body completely out of the water?

Im guessing you guys cant see the pictures i posted. I have a ramp that goes from the water up to a "box" on top of the tank that the turtle climbs up to bask. i will see if i can repost the pictures, not sure why they are not coming up.

#4 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum! I am no Sunfish ID expert, but I believe that all the fish you pictured are Green Sunfish, not positive about the small one in the last photo though. Nice looking tank also.

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Welcome fellow Georgian. Last sunfish is a redbreast BTW.

#6 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Im guessing you guys cant see the pictures i posted. I have a ramp that goes from the water up to a "box" on top of the tank that the turtle climbs up to bask. i will see if i can repost the pictures, not sure why they are not coming up.

Oooh. I was looking at it on my tiny little iPod screen. I see what you're talking about now that I'm looking at the picture on a full sized computer screen. Got it.

Okay, so, another random comment then. Isn't resting rock on the bare bottom of the tank supposed to be really bad because too much weight on one spot can crack the bottom pane of glass?

Edited by EricaWieser, 08 February 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#7 Guest_stevenjohn21_*

Guest_stevenjohn21_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:38 AM

Oooh. I was looking at it on my tiny little iPod screen. I see what you're talking about now that I'm looking at the picture on a full sized computer screen. Got it.

Okay, so, another random comment then. Isn't resting rock on the bare bottom of the tank supposed to be really bad because too much weight on one spot can crack the bottom pane of glass?

On the bottom of each rock is a rubber material (anti slip grip) so it stops any sharp pieces of the rock scratching or worse still cracking the glass.

So they are all Green sunfish apart from the small one ? (last picture)

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Yes you have 3 green sunfish. I would guess that the first one with the more distinct outline to the fins with brighter yellow is a male and the other two are females. Also the small 4th fish is a redbreast sunfish, no doubt as far as I'm concerned. It looks a little small to tell what sex it is and the greens I am just making an educated guess on the sex not a guarantee.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users