Maximizing longnose dace catch

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

it's not hard to catch a longnose dace, kicknet in rocky water with current (even ungodly fast current) and eventually you find one. But I almost never get more than 1 or 2 per try and it often takes a long time sampling to get one. Anyone have any tips on increasing longnose catches.

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

it's not hard to catch a longnose dace, kicknet in rocky water with current (even ungodly fast current) and eventually you find one. But I almost never get more than 1 or 2 per try and it often takes a long time sampling to get one. Anyone have any tips on increasing longnose catches.

I use the same technique as you.
but last year Todd Crail showed me a trick or two he uses a flip and kick mad dash. hold the weights up then flip and reach out as far as you can as you scoop back to your feet
as you move forward fast kicking the rocks. you cover less riffle and get more fish like this in the micro areas of the riffle. im sure this technique would work for you as well to catch dace. todd was able to call the type of fish we would net from the riffle before we caught them i think he called it miro riffle dynamics or something but anyhow we would catch different species from slow or fast water runs with in the same riffle.or large rock to sand and small rocks that stack up like bricks, micro areas where the flow would change.

http://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Lance+Merry/Picture+2365.jpg.html

Edited by CATfishTONY, 18 March 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thanks tony, I'll have to try it. Plus try my seine kick netting instead of a dip net.

Up here we don't have much of a riffle fish community. Longnose dace, slimy sculpin, some blacknose dace and... can't think of others. (maybe fallfish and creek chubs occasionally, our darters seem to like slower current here).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users