Fun Fish From Estill Fork, Alabama

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

My lab group went out today to Estill Fork in NE Alabama to do our transect sampling for darter species in a stretch of riffles. All the darters are in color - fantails, stripetails, redline, greensides, tennessee snubnoses, rainbows, along with the following two species:
Estill ForkMarch21_2011_4.jpg
This is a male blotchside darter that we were handling gently for immediate release. We also found an even larger female.
Estill ForkMarch21_2011_2.jpg
And we found about a dozen blueside darters today, where usually we only find a few. Here are a male and a female.
Estill ForkMarch21_2011_5.jpg
And since it's that time of year, here's a flowering Virginia Bluebell. They were out all over the banks, even though there was a severe flooding event last week.

#2 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

Very nice!

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

Oh man, I'd love to see even an uncolored blotchside, and there you have a gorgeous nuptial male! The bluesides are very nice too. Too bad that blue doesn't really come out in photos- there are colors we just can't reproduce. Some gentians have that incredibly intense, vibrating blue too.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Nice to see some fish that are not from my area. looks like it was a blue day!!!
and some one picked the top from that bluebell.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, I wondered about the "picking". It's a remote site, I suspect that the top of the plant was "picked" by last week's flood event.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users