Peterson Field Guide (second edition)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

I've had some time with the book now... It should be in everyone's collection, period. The price makes it accessible to anyone, regardless of their level of interest.

The maps have been moved in-line with the species accounts, which was the most notable improvement to the text. For the beginner, it will aid in their basic identification and an inexpensive way to build a working document of local distributions of species with sticky tabs etc. For the advanced reader, it serves as an invaluable synthesis our current understanding of species distributions (I finally have my head somewhat around Catonotus!). Through technology, they've been able to make the maps in multiple colors as well, which is much more "easy on the eyes".

There's not much of a change in the plates except additions among groups which have been described in the last 10 years - which of course, for the cost is again, invaluable. To have the plate of the spectabile complex, the ability to flip to the accounts and maps to demonstrate speciation across the whole of the complex's distribution is priceless - I will hopefully be able to get permission to make this a part of any lesson I teach on evolution.

My singular beef is that many of the "Similar Species" are allopatric (so what's the point?), but don't let me get you hung up on that... This book is awesome.

Let's put it this way.... The next time I am at a public aquarium or conservation-based book store and they have copies, I'm buying at least two more - so I have one for the car, one for the lab, and one for next to my bed.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 07 April 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#22 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

I got mine today!

#23 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

I got mine a few days ago from Amazon...only $13.14!! I paid more for the first edition in Borders only a few years ago. They've done a great job with this one. Where previously there was only one color plate on trout there are now several including one devoted to rainbow sub-species and another to cutthroats. I also noticed that the Northern and Central longears have been given separate species status. I found it odd however that the red spotted and spotted sunfish are still regarded only as sub-species. The page on juvenile sunfishes is a nice addition as well.

#24 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

I ordered mine last night. Hopefully it will get here soon, I ended up paying a few more dollars to order it through one of their affiliate sites in hopes of a faster shipping time.

#25 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

well I loved mine while I had it. I lost mine today while at the river.. Plupe... right down in it went when trying to find out what the fish was I found.

#26 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:29 AM

well I loved mine while I had it. I lost mine today while at the river.. Plupe... right down in it went when trying to find out what the fish was I found.

I wish they would print one on tyveck stock with a water proof ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users