Repost on "Protected" Staus

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_powshock_*

Guest_powshock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Hi everyone,
I am moving to New Jersey. I have Blue Spotted Sunfish and a Red fin Pickerel. Will I be able to legally keep these in the state of New Jersey? Can I collect new ones in that state?

Thanks for all information.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

Here's some info.

Whether or not your fish count as baitfish:
From http://www.scottsbt....sh/baitfish.htm

The following are defined as baitfish by New Jersey Statute: Alewife (anadromous and land-locked forms), blueback herring, golden shiner, banded killifish, mummichog, spotkin killifish, rainwater killifish, American brook lamprey, fathead minnow, bluntnose minnow, stonecat, tadpole madtom, margined madtom, all shiners, daces minnows, chubs and the American eel. In the Delaware River between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, alewife and blueback herring (andromous and land-locked forms) are regulated as food fish with a one-day possession limit of 35 in aggregate. Of which no more than 10 may be alewife or blue-backed herring.

# Notes: Any person with a valid fishing license or those entitled to fish without a license may take baitfish in freshwaters.
# Possession limit is one day's limit, regardless of the intent to use these fish.
# Baitfish may be taken from the freshwaters of the state in numbers greater than 35 per day, in lakes over 250 acres, under a special permit issued by the Division at its discretion.
# BAITFISH ARE NOT TO BE BARTERED OR SOLD from the Delaware River

There's more there that wouldn't copy over.

Whether you should get a resident license:
From http://www.njfishand...om/fishneed.htm

Resident Licenses
It is unlawful for any person to obtain a resident license unless they have actually lived in New Jersey for six months immediately prior to the time of application. For ages 16 - 69.

NOTE: Anyone needing assistance with the License Web Site should e-mail njfishandwildlife@dep.state.nj.us or call 908-637-4125

Edited by EricaWieser, 12 April 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#3 Guest_powshock_*

Guest_powshock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

This is from

Freshwater Fish NJ

BANDED, BLACKBANDED, BLUESPOTTED AND MUD SUNFISH
Banded Sunfish* Blackbanded Sunfish*

Closed Statewide
Protected
Limit 0

Edited by powshock, 12 April 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#4 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Generally speaking, when a species is banned in a state, it is banned from possession. In VA for example, it doesn't matter where the specimen was originally from as there is no easy (cheap) way for authorities to verify the source. There may also be some part of the regulation somewhere banning the importation of said species. So if it is part of your personal collection, you are indeed taking a chance moving it with you.

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hi everyone,
I am moving to New Jersey. I have Blue Spotted Sunfish and a Red fin Pickerel. Will I be able to legally keep these in the state of New Jersey? Can I collect new ones in that state?

Thanks for all information.

Neither can be possessed in NJ doesn't matter where collected.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

It's worth talking to the fish and game folks before you move and seeing if you can get special permission. In this case, it is not a matter of proving where the fish came from, but simply proving that you legally possessed them prior to coming into the state. The worst that can happen is you waste a few hours and they still say no. I'm aware of Tennessee issuing such permits for people moving into the state with animals they owned legally in their home state, but which are illegal in TN.

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

they might issue you a scientific permit to maintain them in nj, you'll have to contact them prior to moving.

#8 Guest_powshock_*

Guest_powshock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I read the threads concerning the ban from 2008. I thought someone may have received a more recent answer. I will contact NJDFW to find out and post it as soon as I can.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

They will probably tell you to destroy the fish. For every fish you kill, you might save - what: 50? 100? See, simple logic dictates the outcome ](*,)

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

A good friend who is a resident of NJ, retired biology professor and expert on the fishes of the state had several generations of cornsnakes (a protected species in NJ) he had originally legally collected in South Carolina. He found the NJ nongame people to be very unresponsive and got rid of the snakes out of fear of being fined/punished. So, my recommendation is to not bring those fish with you to NJ.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Fritz, how did they even know he had he snakes?

#12 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

# BAITFISH ARE NOT TO BE BARTERED OR SOLD from the Delaware River

People Barter in baitfish? odd. Next time I am in the area remind me to go into a store with a bucket of minnows and see how many I need to buy things. :)

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

People Barter in baitfish? :)

Evidently they had NANFA in mind...

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Evidently they had NANFA in mind...

I mis-read that... people Batter Baitfish?

Sure they do... this is the south, we will batter anything... and fry it!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users