Striped shiners in breeding condition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hello everybody,

I've been out in the water quite a bit lately, and I just thought I'd share a few pictures of some large striped shiners (Luxilus chrysocephalus) that I caught while fly fishing yesterday on Hickory Creek (a trib. of the Des Plaines River - Illinois River drainage).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was fishing a riffle where I could see a few large males jockeying for position around an abandoned chub nest (either hornyhead or creek - couldn't quite decipher the shape of the nest). While flipping rocks at the head of the riffle, I found green caddisfly larvae to be plentiful. So, I tied on a small green caddisfly larvae nymph and had a great morning catching my share of these beautiful fish. Just thought I'd share.

-Nate

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Ya done good, he has that hot lemonade pink color that's so different from most of the year.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

That's why I love this unappreciated fish.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

i agree with you guys, these are truely underestimated

#5 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

I found them a few years back a had a blast getting them on worms. You inspired me to go back with my flyrod.

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

I am going tomorrow morning for shiners in general with my super ultralight gear (use flies with this gear as well.)

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

I found them a few years back a had a blast getting them on worms. You inspired me to go back with my flyrod.

That'll be a good time. Many times the striped shiner (or creek chub, hornyhead chub, etc.) bite has saved the day when I was targeting other species. I'll often take time out when steelhead fishing to catch a few colored up striped/common shiner out near Cleveland, OH.

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hey Nate!

I went to the place in your photo guide in Oak Creek (found the exact location!) and caught some striped shiners today! None were pink lemonade, but were still stunning fish!

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hey Nate!

I went to the place in your photo guide in Oak Creek (found the exact location!) and caught some striped shiners today! None were pink lemonade, but were still stunning fish!

Haha! I didn't know anyone looked at those pictures! I'm glad you were able to get out there and catch some striped shiners. You didn't have to deal with any pesky steelhead getting in the way of your striped shiner fishing, did you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users