Carpenters park off blackwater river

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

Went out to carpenter's park on blackwater river this morning for an hour and netted around a bit. The water has a lot of vegetation, something that looks like red cabomba and also a lot of myrio, although I'm pretty bad at I.D.ing local flora so I just relate it to something that I do recognize.

Any guesses or corrections at species are welcome, I'd like to get a good idea of the particular species I'm dealing with in different local areas.
Elassoma Evergladei (maybe)
Posted Image

Unidentified, maybe a shiner of some sort
Posted Image

baby crawfish, cute factor x 100, not sure what species
Posted Image

Posted Image

flounder much?
Posted Image

They aren't dead, they are just in awe of my netting abilities.
Posted Image

These look like some sort of bass. There was a picnic table right next to where we were netting so we got a quick pic and sent them on their way
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Does anyone know what the one posted right above the flounder is? It's cute.

Also, what's the death rate for fish that get handled? There has to be some percentage of them that don't survive.

#3 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

Does anyone know what the one posted right above the flounder is? It's cute.

Also, what's the death rate for fish that get handled? There has to be some percentage of them that don't survive.

Yeah, I tried to minimize it as much as I could. With the really small ones I only took out one for pics the rest I just dumped back in. The larger fish seem to handle it well, but in most cases I literally move them from the net to my hand for a pic and then back into the water. I don't mess with their fins and try to spread them out because I don't want to knock scales and slime off if I can help it.

I brought a dip n pour and it seems to be much easier to get pics in without too much handling, will likely be using it from now on for photos.

I think that its a green sunfish, but I'm not 100%

Edited by jetajockey, 12 May 2011 - 12:29 AM.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

E. gloriosus?

#5 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

E. gloriosus?

Sounds good to me. Here's one confirmation from a regional area as well
http://gallery.nanfa...potted.jpg.html

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

definately bluespots! I am jealous of that flounder..

and that does look like a little largemouth bass as well!

Edited by NVCichlids, 12 May 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Great selection of local fish.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

flounder much?
Posted Image

Hogchoker (Trinectes maculatus) and a good aquarium inhabitant (although I don't seem em much I have one or two that have survived close to two years now) if you provide a sandy bottom.

I think you have a great selection of fish there... the minnow is too small to tell and the bass is a bass... but the rest of them are all good aquarium fish... blue spots are particularly sought out by some folks, since they are colorful and 100% sunfish, but stay much smaller and are not nearly as feisty as Lepomis.

...more pics in the little photo tank thingy... it is easier to see the fish and easier on the fish... survival rates are very high in general for most fish (with silversides and a few others being the exception)... but they are even higher than high when you put the fish in water for the photo.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hogchoker (Trinectes maculatus) and a good aquarium inhabitant (although I don't seem em much I have one or two that have survived close to two years now) if you provide a sandy bottom.

I think you have a great selection of fish there... the minnow is too small to tell and the bass is a bass... but the rest of them are all good aquarium fish... blue spots are particularly sought out by some folks, since they are colorful and 100% sunfish, but stay much smaller and are not nearly as feisty as Lepomis.

...more pics in the little photo tank thingy... it is easier to see the fish and easier on the fish... survival rates are very high in general for most fish (with silversides and a few others being the exception)... but they are even higher than high when you put the fish in water for the photo.

+1 on the hogchoker. i have 12 of them in a walsted tank...they love it. and feed off live blackworms, frozen brine and frozen bloodworms.

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

The crayfish might be a Cajun dwarf (Cambarellus shufeldti)-- the strange plant-safe/fish-safe cray !!
A plastic bag works fine as a redneck phototank, or for just examining fish and passing them around to show a group.
Nice bluespotteds.

#11 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

The crayfish might be a Cajun dwarf (Cambarellus shufeldti)-- the strange plant-safe/fish-safe cray !!
A plastic bag works fine as a redneck phototank, or for just examining fish and passing them around to show a group.
Nice bluespotteds.

Yeah I was debating on keeping the cray in the case that it was a dwarf, but I figure if I've caught one I'll catch plenty more in my time.

We went again today but didn't get there till noonish, brought fishing poles this time.

We did get one more elassoma (evergladei maybe?) it looks like the other one I caught, with light body and mass of blue flecks along the body but not on the fins.

As soon as we got there today we were greeted by this guy
Posted Image

He didn't want to hang out, but I still didn't feel like getting in the water, lol. Spotted several large keeper sized bass and sunfish, but they weren't eating nightcrawlers.

We are going to go out there again in the morning when I get off of work, and give htem another try. I'm going to cast net up some shiners and see if the bass want some of that instead.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

i see no one has confirmed ID on your elassoma.. just out of curiosity to others, are you able to get a good enough image to possibly ID it? I think it looks like evergladi, but I have only seen okeefenokee, everglade, and zonatum. I cannot ID them to save my lift :(.

#13 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

i see no one has confirmed ID on your elassoma.. just out of curiosity to others, are you able to get a good enough image to possibly ID it? I think it looks like evergladi, but I have only seen okeefenokee, everglade, and zonatum. I cannot ID them to save my lift :(.

Lol. I believe it is a evergladei but I'll try to get more pics. It definitely doesn't look like the gilberti that I got recently, and this area is out of range for them anyhow.

We went to a place called pond creek this morning and I caught several least killies, some russetfin topminnows, and another dollar sunfish. Also caught what looked like a baby gar or needlefish, it was half brown and half black, didn't take any pics though.

#14 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

baby gar or needlefish, it was half brown and half black, didn't take any pics though.

I believe it was a longnose gar young. I will see if I can find the link to the one I caught last year down there..

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

does this look like your fish?

Attached Images

• RSCN4798.JPG

#16 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

does this look like your fish?

That's it, about the same size also, would've slipped right through a 1/4" or larger mesh net with no problem.

#17 Guest_flytyerboy95_*

Guest_flytyerboy95_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

gahhhhh!!!! im so so soooo jealous....washington SUCKS :sad2:
soon as im out of highschool im finding a way to move to florida hahaha

#18 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

LOL -- My answer to the question "How did you decide where to go to college?" is: "Range maps in my Golden Field Guides". (Grew up in MA).

#19 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

you do not have to be in FL to find gar. They are running wild here in Wisconsin and we are pretty far north as well. I caught one that was 28" last week.

#20 Guest_rainbowchrome_*

Guest_rainbowchrome_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, I tried to minimize it as much as I could. With the really small ones I only took out one for pics the rest I just dumped back in. The larger fish seem to handle it well, but in most cases I literally move them from the net to my hand for a pic and then back into the water. I don't mess with their fins and try to spread them out because I don't want to knock scales and slime off if I can help it.

I brought a dip n pour and it seems to be much easier to get pics in without too much handling, will likely be using it from now on for photos.

I think that its a green sunfish, but I'm not 100%

You've definitely got ellasoma evergladei and bluespotted sunfish,Those like cabomba like vegetation.Good catches there!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users