local killi

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

what local killifish are in your area... can you all post your list and pics?

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

New York only has one freshwater killifish, the banded killi (Fundulus diaphanus). They also live in brackish water along with mummuchogs. We also have a few marine speices. Sheepshead minnow, spotfin killifish, striped killifish and rainwater killifish. I have only ever collected the banded killifish, I live 5 hours from the ocean.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:43 PM

Just a Uniquely marked population of the Western banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus menona)

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

Blackstripe topminnow F. notatus
Northern studfish F. catenatus

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

Banded Killifish, Fundulus diaphanus
Mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus

#6 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

currently found in various SC waters:

Freshwater
Lined Topminnow - Fundulus lineolatus
Golden Topminnow - F. chrysotus
Bluefin killifish - Lucania goodei

Brackish water
Mummichog - Fundulus heteroclitus
Marsh killifish - F. confluentus
Striped killifish - F. majalis
Spotfin killifish - F.luciae (not officially documented but Dustin, Fritz & I have found them)
Banded killifish - F.diaphanus (state listed in SC)
Rainwater killifish - Lucania parva
Sheepshead minnow - Cyprinodon variegatus

Hopefully Dustin will add anything I left out or maybe even add some pics.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

I have seen Western Banded Killifish and Blackstripe Topminnow up here in Northwestern Ohio.

#8 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Here in PA there are some populations of banded killis, but I've never collected any personally.

#9 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

just curious what happened to my new post... why did it get deleted? i wanted to open one without all the bs that was started in this one

#10 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

just curious what happened to my new post... why did it get deleted? i wanted to open one without all the bs that was started in this one

Cleaned it up for you... continue please...

#11 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:18 AM

COME ONE GUYS PLEASE LETS GET THIS ONE WARMED UP AGAIN AND GET SOME GOOD POSTS AND PICS..

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

In my home state of Illinois I have four Killifish (all of which are cool, then again I've never disliked a killifish).

Fundulus diaphanus Banded killifish. This is a state threatened fish and can be very difficult to find unless you make an effort to see them.

Fundulus dispar starhead topminnow is also state threatened but happens to be my favorite state Killi. Good looking fish while I'm in the water sampling others.

Fundulus notatus blackstripe topminnow can be found in almost any water in the eastern portion of the state and many in the western part of the state as well. This is a great aquarium fish that happens to be great for people starting with natives. They eat just about anything and live forever.

Fundulus olivaceus blackspotted topminnow lives only in the extreme southern portions of the state and looks pretty similar to the blackstripe topminnow. Blackspotted topminnows are much like the Blackstripe but get a little larger and have more of an aggressive nature. They also make nice fish for the aquarium but get a bit nippy.

Half of my states' killifish are threatened and the other two look about the same :-? . I'm lucky that I've been able to see all of them in their natural environment and I'm also lucky I get to travel around the country and take a few fish home with me while I'm out of state.

#13 Guest_ok_tiff_*

Guest_ok_tiff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

My boys just caught two of these fish a couple days ago in our creek and I thnk I just got an ID on them as blackstripe topminnows:

Posted Image

This is from a creek in SE Oklahoma.

Tiffany

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

Blackspotted topminnow. F.olivaceus Would be my guess, although Oklahoma has both.

#15 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

anyone from oklahoma or washington have anything to add?

#16 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

I would second them as being blackspotted instead of blackstriped.

#17 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

I also agree with F. olivaceus since this fishes dorsal and flank spots are well defined and form rows.

#18 Guest_JHeer_*

Guest_JHeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:20 AM

I reside in St. Petersburg, FL. You can find the following within 20 miles of my house:

-----
Least killifish (H. Formosa)
Bluefin killifish (L. goodei)
Seminole killifish (Fundulus seminolis)
Marsh killifish (F. confluentus)
Goldspotted killifish (Floridichthys carpio)
Gulf killifish (Fundulus grandis)
Rainwater killifish (Lucania parva)
Diamond killifish (Adinia xenica)
Longnose killifish (F. similis)
------

You can also find sailfin mollies, most species of pygmy/small sunfishes, basses, Plecostomus (formerly an exotic, now everywhere!), Brown Hoplos (same as the Pleco), Florida Flagfish, swamp darters, various topminnows, various shiners, and numerous others. I don't know where all of them are, but if you are interested in locating some, I'll do the best I can. In case you know of any, I'm always looking for new places to check out as well! (unfortunately I don't have any photographs, as I had to release most of my stock prior to moving recently, but plan on collecting more ASAP)(Don't worry, I released them into the same canals or lakes that I got them from, I document the locations where I collect everything.)

#19 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Just to let you know, least killifish (Heterandria formosa) are really livebearers, not killifish. The name is really misleading.
And just to warn you, others will probably chime in with a reply about releasing fish. Even though they were released were you got them, there are several problems that can arise. Read this:

http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=442

#20 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

Just this week I picked up a few Fundulus diaphanus Banded killifish from the Susquehanna River just north of Marietta, PA. They seem to be very common in slow, warm water. They are also rather fast fish and hard to catch. I kept two of which the larger one (3.5 in) is still OK. The smaller one (1.5 in) apparently became food for the 5 in redfin pickerel.

I'd love to have a school of them but I suspect I am going to need the bigger ones if they are to coexist with the redfins.

Dean

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users